[OSList] Using OS with a team on a project

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Sun Dec 23 09:06:54 PST 2012

Susan - Fun project! And I have some thoughts. First is that I wouldn't
worry too much about the formal Open Spaces and how to arrange them. I
believe that will fall out naturally and they will be useful and productive
- but much more useful and more productive will be seeing your total
collective effort as ALL taking place in Open Space. Seen this way there
will be no beginning or end but only a difference in mode and intensity.
Said a little differently, it is all open space, just sometimes it is
engaged in a more formal fashion (sit in circle, create bulletin board.), as
need and occasion require. As for the 4 (really 5) principles and the one
law, they have always been DE-scriptive and not PRE-scriptive. Which is to
say they will happen anyway, that is just the way life is.  Of course, being
aware of them is useful, just as it is useful to be aware of any fundamental
fact of life. Something about the unexamined life being less than fully
livable.

My suggestion has nothing to do with the notion of "Doing your Project as
Open Space," as if you really had any choice. Unless I have totally missed
the boat (quite possible) we can't choose to be self organizing (live in
open space) - that is just the way things are, much like our  relationship
to gravity. Comes with the territory. We can, however choose to fight city
hall, and seek to impose our own notions of how things ought to be - which
is what happens when we attempt to organize a self organizing system. As I
have said ad nauseam - that is not only an oxymoron, but stupid, and also a
waste of time. So the first, and really only thought/suggestion is that
your project is already "in open space" (like all the rest of life) - and
the major question is how to behave in useful, appropriate, and productive
ways.

Given this perspective, Open Space events are simply training programs for
life. They may also (usually do) have specific positive outcomes (plans
made, designs created, etc) but at the end of the day the major gift is to
build our awareness and skills for living. After 27 years and 100's of
thousands of iterations, I think we have built a small knowledge base
relating to how all of this can be well done. Interestingly, virtually none
of this learning is all that original - but so often we forget, and it is
nice to have a refresher course.

So as you prepare for your project, I suggest you worry less about how to do
OSTs and rather more about how to acknowledge and optimize life in open
space every day. The events will take care of themselves. And where to
start? I think you are already at the starting line, given your experience
with the Art of Hosting. It all begins with Invitation.

What can happen next will be multiple and various for there have been lots
of people doing lots of learning. My take of the state of affairs is laid
out in the second part of my book, "Wave Rider", called "The Wave Rider's
Guide to the Future."

Susan, thanks for sharing - and I for one look forward to your next
installment!

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

189 Beaucaire Ave. (summer)

Camden, Maine 04843

Phone 301-365-2093

(summer)  207-763-3261

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of OSLIST
Go to: