[OSList] Using OS with a team on a project

Susan Geller sgeller at umn.edu
Sun Dec 23 05:52:50 PST 2012

Hi, all.  I am new to this list.  I posted this question to the LinkedIn OS
group and was encouraged by Lisa Heft to post it here.  I am somewhat new
to OS as well, having first been introduced to it about 1.5 yrs ago through
Art of Hosting. I recently attended a full day workshop on OS in OS.
 During that day of workshop I worked on the idea of using OS with a team
of people at a large institution on a two year project.

We start working together early in 2013. We will have weekly 2 hour
meetings. The people in the room will be the leadership of the project and
the staff working on the project - about 20 people all together, four of
whom will be attending virtually (via Google Hangout). I think OST can
really help this group work together well. I am looking for some input from
people who have worked with a team over time using OST as a way of being
together.

We have a 1/2 day together will we will be in OS around the theme of us
working together. And, then thereafter our 2 hour meetings will be held in
OS.  I have thought about the way we can use the principles to guide our
work even to the extent they seem to be contradicted by our frame. For
example "it's over when it's over" means that even if our 2 hour meeting
ends, if the topic is not complete, we don't need to say it is done or
assign it as an "action item" (traditional meeting frame).  It can be
continued in whatever way that group identifies.

My current thinking is that we'll start each gathering in a marketplace and
end each gathering with the question "what does our entire group need to
know and/or work on?"  as a way of bringing the conversations back to the
center.

It will be hard for me to add spaces on the fly to these meetings b/c of
the logistics of having people attend virtually.  It will work better if I
have the google hangouts created from the start and have an external web
cam devoted to each break out.  So, I'm wondering for a group of 20 how
many spaces I should be preparing.  I'm thinking 4.

I'm interested in what you think about all of this.  What might I be
thinking about? How can the core principles of OST help guide us given our
structural limitations? What have you learned by doing something similar to
my challenge?

Thank you.

--Susan

Susan B. Geller
Project Director, Enterprise Portal, University of Minnesota
e-mail: sgeller at umn.edu