[OSList] two locations at once?

Jen Mein jen at umn.edu
Sat Dec 22 06:35:52 PST 2012

Wow! What wonderful, rich insights and suggestions. Thank you, thank you,
thank you. I'm going to begin to weave some of this into the design and
planning. Specifically..

   - Adjusting the flow as Jeff suggested to accommodate such a large group
   - Creating a combined Book of Proceedings from both sites
   - Mirroring the design at both sites as much as possible
   - Establishing a link between the site at the beginning for a wave hello
   and a the ending for a collective cheer

Jeff, your thoughts about the theme and questions are very insightful. The
'we' is mainly breaking down the 'us/them' culture between the central IT
organization and the various IT organizations that exist in colleges,
administrative units, and other campuses. It is also about bringing all IT
professionals together because we are undergoing a huge amount of change.
Our new Vice President/CIO has been very skillful at inviting everyone in
IT (regardless of role) to engage in communities of practice around key IT
strategies to co-create their future. I was an Associate CIO in a college
and now I work with the VP exclusively to facilitate these communities to
ensure everyone has an opportunity to participate and be heard. The current
theme is directly tied to the VP and his leadership team's current #1 goal
which has been shared across the system. I really like the idea of
rephrasing it to evoke responses that result in building the 'we' culture.

The design so far was enough for the VP and his team to say, "Yes! Let's do
this." Now, I will be bringing in some of my OS-trained and experienced Art
of Hosting mates to refine the design and build teams for both locations.
I'm so inspired and grateful for your ideas!

Take care,
  Jen