[OSList] two locations at once?

Jeff Aitken r.jeff.aitken at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 18:33:31 PST 2012

Hi Jen,

Thanks for putting this out to the list. I'm sure you will get lots of
warm appreciations and suggestions.

Let me dive right in, and I look forward to the ideas of others. I've
facilitated many short OST events of 2-4 hours, which are on the very
short end of the OST spectrum as you know.

I am going to suggest that the connections between the events take
place after the event and not during. My reasoning is that the event
is fairly short in duration, and it will be most useful to support the
people in the room to connect with one another in person, rather than
try to also include others offsite.

If I can offer ideas about the agenda design, it would be to use the
time available to maximize the open space opportunity, especially for
several hundred people.

Get right to work, lengthen the session times, and have a more
leisurely closing. For example you might start with a short welcome
and agenda creation at 12:30, have a 60 minute session start at 1:15
and another 60 minute session at 2:15 pm. Then at 3:15 you would have
45 minutes for closure. (Unless you are able to stretch the length of
the event even more...)

This would allow a big group of people a bit more time to move from
session to session and to gather again for closing. Especially in open
space, inviting a lot of people to move from place to place requires
some time, and can't be very precise. The appetizers could be
available for noshing during the opening and the sessions, hopefully
in the central space.

Another suggestion is to use the closing time for people to share
their experiences face to face, rather than reading session notes and
then having a short feedback period. Because you are inviting a "we"
culture into being, each opportunity for people to experience the "we"
that they are will help to plant and nurture that seed. The ideas that
are captured on flip charts can be transcribed and shared afterward
online among all participants, and you can design a way for
interaction and followup.

The actual design of the closing I suggest would involve people in
shared reflection hearing one another's voices, tho I won't offer more
specific ideas right now.

Thanks again for sharing and being on the list... looking forward to
the ongoing conversation about this work.

Jeff
San Francisco