[OSList] two locations at once?

Jen Mein jen at umn.edu
Fri Dec 21 16:54:44 PST 2012

*

Greetings!

I am an Art of Hosting practitioners at the University of Minnesota and I
am currently designing a large half-day Open Space event. The University of
Minnesota's main campus is in Minneapolis-St.Paul and we have 4 other
campuses in our system throughout the state. For this event, there is a
desire to have our campus in Duluth, MN host an OS at the same time and
connect with our participants in the Twin Cities. We expect to have 50-75
people in Duluth and 600+ in the Twin Cities. I think we can make it happen
technically, but I could use some advice about the design to determine what
is reasonable for interaction between the two locations.

Does anyone have experience running simultaneous Open Spaces? Any best
practices or tips?

Thanks! More of the context and tentitive plan is below.

- Jen Mein

Bringing together members of the University of Minnesota Information
Technology Community to connect and engage in the building of a “we”
culture.
Goals:

   1. Kick off the “we” culture. (i.e., help move the IT community past an
   “us/them” and into a “we”)
   2. Provide an opportunity for people across the University system to
   connect with others with shared interests.
   3. Create an environment that is fun and informal and celebrates
   community.

**Proposed Flow:**
Time        Minutes Topic
12:30 30 Appetizers, Meet & Greet
1:00 45 Opening - Creating the agenda
1:45 55 Self-Organized Discussions - Round 1
2:40 45 Self-Organized Discussions - Round 2
3:25 10 Walkabout - Read discussion notes posted on flip charts
3:35 10 Feedback in large group
3:45 15 Announcements and official thanks
4:00  -- End of Session

With 400-600 participants; we would likely have 50-60 discussions happening
over the two rounds. Thus, we will need to identify 25-30 breakout spaces
within and around the large group meeting spaces.