[OSList] Is it true that Open Space does not really work when there are many internal conflict?

christine koehler chris.alice.koehler at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 10:05:27 PST 2012

Dear Kari

As a mediator and OST facilitor , for a long time I wondered why I was so
reluctant to use OST in conflict. Was it because I didn't trust the process
enough ? I don't think that's true. I had heard many stories of OST in
conflicted settings (including my favorite : Harrison's with Rabbis and
Imans).  Or was it because as a mediator I am used to a much more
structured process, which is (in a way) the opposite of OST ? Anyway,
recently, I decided to stop wondering and to use it the way I feel
comfortable with.  Now I feel that in a situation of open conflict, people
must first experience true listening. And understand that listening to the
other is different from agreing to what he says or feels or think. And all
parts need to experience this. People wo experience open space for the
first time may learn that too, but they are not in the emotional mood of
wanting to "kill" the other, which is, in conflict, the case. So, from my
point of view, there is a need to prepare teh group first before going into
open space.
So my idea (I did not experiment it yet but I presented it in a context of
highly conflicted team and it was very well received) is now to have a
first step where everyone can experience this. The step will be much more
structured than OST and its length may vary according to the needs and the
evolution of the group. When I (and the planing team) will see that the
participants are ready to experience self-organizing without avoiding
issues or getting into fight, then I'll offer OST.

Might work. I think it should. And it's worth trying as for me a group in
conflict means that on both side you have people who really care. And
usually they  love to find solutions to their problems.
Once I'll have done that I'll tell the story here

Christine