[OSList] patterns in nature and open space

Ashley Cooper easilyashley at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 10:36:25 PST 2012

Thanks for this question. This is something that we are also very curious
about at The Mycelium School <http://www.myceliumschool.org/>. I'm trying
to better understand how mycelium works and am intrigued by the
organization around nutrients (contributing value, distributing
information) and the collective nature of connecting diverse parts of the
host ecosystem for the purpose of supporting health and vitality. Absorbing
the nutrients of surrounding areas, growing towards nutrient deficient
areas for the purpose of health and wellness, connecting diverse parts,
becoming a unit of communication, thriving off of diversity...

Below are a couple of quotes from an article that might be relevant for
meaning making.

I look forward to hearing more of what others share.

http://www.anbg.gov.au/fungi/mycelium.html

In order to feed, the mycelium releases enzymes into the surrounding
environment and these enzymes break down complex organic polymers into
simpler compounds (generally various sorts of sugars) which are then
absorbed through the hyphal walls. All this also happens near the growing
hyphal apices, generally just behind the region where fresh material is
being added to the hyphal wall. While this discussion uses a common
mushroom as a simple example, it’s important to note that this method of
feeding - enzyme release into the surrounding environment and absorption of
the resulting products through the cell walls - is a fundamental
characteristic of all fungi, whether macrofungi or microfungi.

In an area rich in nutrients, the mycelium will branch often and grow
slowly, so maximising the amount of nutrients it can extract. By contrast,
in an area low in nutrients the hyphae grow more rapidly and with little
branching. Moreover, in many cases the bulk of the mycelium doesn't grow as
individual hyphae - but as bundles of hyphae. Some bundles are simply
fairly loose and unstructured aggregations of hyphae, with no
differentiation in the functions of the component hyphae. The opposite also
occurs commonly, with a definite structure to the bundle and marked
differentiation in the nature of the hyphae making up the bundle.

--
Ashley Cooper
Learning Catalyst

*"If we surrendered to the earth's intelligence, we could rise up rooted,
like trees."* -Rainer Maria Rilke

On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Skye Hirst <skyeh at autognomics.org> wrote:

> correction on link  www.autognomics.org/skye-blog
> Skye
>

> On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Skye Hirst <skyeh at autognomics.org>wrote:
>
>> I hesitate to introduce here the work of Autognomics but we have been
>> studying and looking for living/life's "organizing principles ( "Organizing
>> principles (scientific laws) are delimiting principles; they exclude the
>> infinity of the possible to create (and reveal) the actual.  They
>> exclude rather than predict or simulate.  They need not involve finite
>> variables, nor do they need to be deterministic or even
>> quasi-deterministic" Norm Hirst) Such principles function within living
>> entities" and cannot be observed empirically alone, (you will never see in
>> the data what creates the data, NH) groups, organizations do exhibit such
>> principles, of course,  and we've seen such "process"  laws as showing up
>> in principles of "organisms"  but to fully get at what and how these
>> organizing principles work, we're still trying to get down to the most
>> foundational which requires looking at the "metaphysics"  defined here in
>> the words of
>>
>> Metaphysics defined:  Bohm
>> Metaphysics is in esssence a set of basic assumptions about the general
>> order and structure of all existence. Whenever we say “All is X”  or “X
>> is always (or never) true” we are expressing a metaphysical position.
>>
>> Autopoiesis offers many of the "pointers"  towards these principles - and
>> there's lots of work needed to pull together many of these pointers (books
>> like Holman's Engaging Emergence) to get to the metaphysics but I do
>> believe those pointers experienced in Open Space processes are exhibited
>> and experienced over and over again by life in many of its infinite forms.
>> Love to continue with anyone interested in going into this process with
>> us.  The Lincoln Movie has lovely examples of these laws.  I've written a
>> bit about that on my blog www.autognomics.org/skye/blog.
>>
>> skyeh at autognomics.org
>> www.autognomics.org
>> twitter @autognomics
>> 207-236-6331
>>

>> On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 9:21 AM, JL Walker <jlwalker at terra.cl> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Chris and all,****
>>>
>>> ** **
>>>
>>> While I've not studied them sufficiently, I think that Humberto Maturana
>>> and Francisco Varela have many of the answers that you are looking for
>>> through its formulation of the process called “autopoiesis”.****
>>>
>>> ** **
>>>
>>> Please see the following links in Wikipedia:****
>>>
>>> ** **
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autopoiesis****
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humberto_Maturana****
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_Varela****
>>>
>>> ** **
>>>
>>> "*Living systems <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_systems> are
>>> cognitive systems, and living as a process is a process of cognition*.
> [...]

"Every moment you give to Love becomes happy"
~ Hafiz