[OSList] The Joys of Grief -- With Thanks to Harold

Harold Shinsato harold at shinsato.com
Mon Dec 3 15:33:06 PST 2012

Thanks so much for such a personal and poignant story, Suzanne - and
Happy belated Birthday to you, Harrison (and to your dad, Suzanne).

A midwife helps usher the birth process, and a hospice worker assists
the with the process of dying.

Open Space has very much been about both at the same time - which also
makes it hard to talk about.

Birth usually comes with quite a bit of pain - we recognize that but
gloss over it for the obvious joy of welcoming in a new soul - never
mind the postpartum depression.

Death often comes with pain as well especially for those who are losing
a loved one, but I've been surprised by the joy that comes from
celebrating a life.

These are heavy things - not necessarily the best marketing material to
invite people into something. And at the same time, it touches on why
Open Space is so potent. It's touching on a very natural
transformational process of both beginnings and endings. There's a deep
awareness of structure in Open Space, even as we witness new structure
coming into being to serve Spirit, just as we witness it leaving.

My original intention for diving into Open Space was to promote new
stuff. Agile Software Development. Lean. Even OST itself. What I haven't
felt nearly as joyful about has been how much OST is also about grieving
and letting go of the old stories. The memories. It's continues to be
something worthy of pondering - and I'm grateful that Harrison wrote
Wave Rider. And it still feels like there's more, much more.

How do you keep facing and helping these forces to flower as an Open
Space facilitator - or as someone inviting others in? How do you face
the fear - and keep the courage both for yourself, and for others?

     Thanks,
     Harold

P.S. This quote seems relevant.

/A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by
little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great
soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his
shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words, and
to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it
contradict every thing you said to-day. --- 'Ah, so you shall be sure to
be misunderstood.' --- Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood?
Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and
Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that
ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood./

     - Ralph Waldo Emerson

--
Harold Shinsato
harold at shinsato.com <mailto:harold at shinsato.com>