[OSList] OS question for Community/School event

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Tue Aug 28 13:19:04 PDT 2012

Hi, Kevin -

Here's my thinking on pre-registration:
Pre-registration is about sustainability. About understanding the
extent of and using resources (food, site, materials, documentation
support) thoughtfully and in reflection to the numbers of people who
will be coming.
Pre-registration is about productivity for the conversations and the
work. Having enough room, supplies, hydration, nutrition - to support
the active nature of the work.
It is about capacity. Rooms may only hold so many for these active
forms of dialogue process. Budget may only include so much for tea or
food.
It is about access and inclusion. Knowing what is needed to welcome
people of diverse income, diverse ability, diverse mobility, diverse
language needs and richness.
It is about respect. Letting the host know whether you are coming or
not, so they can plan and include you.
It is about presence. 'I, too am coming'.
It is about passion and responsibility. Those who feel passionate
about the work will try to be there - and will reach out to join. This
is of course if reaching out also comes from the host in different
ways - to ensure that all diverse members are invited - personally if
needed, with different sorts of messages or pathways as needed - to
ensure a rich mix of diverse experiences and ideas in the room. And
often it is not about 'this is the process we will use' but about who
else will be there, what sorts of questions the community is already
exploring, what makes it possible for each individual to actually be
able to attend.

What are others' thoughts about pre-registration?

Lisa