[OSList] Designing an OS way

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Thu Sep 15 17:45:54 PDT 2011

Hi, Doug -
Why don't you just do 'Birds of a Feather'?

Circles of chairs (or round tables) all around the room, with the
ability to make a topic sign for each area.
The more chair circles / larger the room, the more possible topics.
To begin, people interested in hosting a conversation for feedback /
sounding board sessions make a sign - these signs get distributed in
the circles. Folks move wherever they want to to talk, for as long as
they want.
It's not Open Space - but it has some sister self-organizational
values, and works for short time zones (and if these are tables or
people bring sack/box lunches, works for eating lunch at the same time).

In 2 hours (you say some will leave early) how would you do and teach
Open Space in a way that holds together as Open Space, so they really
get what it is and what it is not?
Is this the time to teach and do Open Space?
Is this the time to teach and do something different than Open Space
that has some similar flexibility and values?

Seems to me I would teach them how to do Open Space also for times
when they could do longer deeper richer work and that teaching - with
time for their learning, offering feedback, exploring what is 'behind
the scenes' of the facilitator role and the pre-work and such for this
deceptively-simple process - might deserve its own different and much
longer time, no?

Lisa

Open Space facilitators: I am going to WOSonOS in Chile this October.
Will you be joining us?
Facilitadores de Espacio Abierto: Voy a WOSonOS en Chile este mes de
octubre. ¿Va a unirse a nosotros?
http://www.wosonoschile.cl

Lisa Heft
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
Opening Space
lisaheft at openingspace.net

  - The Open Space Learning Workshop / el Taller de Aprendizaje de
Espacio Abierto
        - October 17-18, 2011 - Santiago, Chile (en español)
        - December 14-16, 2011 - San Francisco, USA (en inglés)