[OSList] OS in business meetings (2nd question)

Birgitt Williams birgitt at dalarinternational.com
Fri Sep 9 09:00:37 PDT 2011

Dear Keith and all who are following this thread,
I will share my perspective on your questions. I have facilitated several
national level OST meetings with operational people who have scientific
backgrounds and indeed they appear to have greater passion for detail and
data. This is a gift that they bring, and with care, can be a great asset in
an OST meeting and its outcomes.

I love hearing that your second meeting went better and that all
participants endorsed it as a meeting format. I am wondering how you intend
to leverage all this great feedback?

I am a proponent of good planning. The work, from my perspective, especially
in an intact business (rather than a one time conference), is in the
planning. OST always works and the facilitation is quite easy so with some
tweaks over time, this is not where the extra effort needs to go. It is in
the planning, with the right people. If you can imagine a sled going down a
hill, once started, it keeps going. One challenge with the planning is to
identify the correct hill for the sled to go down. In the second event that
you facilitated, the business goal is clear. In your planning, did you also
work with the 'sponsors' to decide what they wanted to capture in the
documentation of the sessions, and did you work with them to find out if
there was need for convergence and agreed upon action planning from their
findings? In an intact organization, questions such as these become more
important, so that people in the organization see results beyond the
meeting.

I think that in a business, no matter how the invitation is worded, it is
likely that the expectation from 'bosses' is that people show up. I have
been aware of situations where people have been fired for not attending, and
in other situations where people have been fired for what they said during
an OST break out session. So, this topic you raise about is it really an
invitation is an important one to discuss. As is the topic of whether it is
truly okay for people to talk about anything that they feel moved to talk
about. I learned long ago not to assume that Open Space is Safe Space.

On the subject of leaders and struggle for control, I think that this could
be said about others in the organization too. All are humans, and part of
the human drama is fear, and fear raises its head in different ways
including something that is experienced as control. I find it useful to
avoid judging people regarding their need to control, and instead I wonder
with people what the fear(s) is (are). This is useful with senior leaders,
and then we work out what can be done to mitigate the fears. A very long
time ago, I initiated work with 'givens' for an OST meeting. These might be
the 'givens' or non-negotiables of a Board, CEO, or senior leader. The
'givens' exist so it is useful to make them explicit. I also work from a
vantage point of it being the senior leaders who open the space in their
organization for an OST meeting to take place. When approaching the OST from
this perspective, I make choices regarding what I do and how I can be of
service for a good meeting and for useful results.

I wish you well with this journey,
Birgitt Williams

Birgitt Williams
President and Senior Consultant, Dalar International Consultancy
Author, The Genuine Contact Way
919-522-7750

Co-Owner of the Genuine Contact™ Program
 Genuine Contact Way blog
 Become a fan of the Genuine Contact Way
 Follow me