[OSList] OS in business meetings

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Fri Sep 9 10:59:23 PDT 2011

Hi, Keith, and all -

Keith - you *can* have an Agenda (8:00a coffee and welcome, 8:30a
'Plenary Session', 9:30-5:00 'Working Sessions', 5:00 'Closing
Plenary', 'lunch will be included' ) - however you would say those
things in the particular vocabulary of your organizational culture.
And you *can* mention content, in a way - you can craft an invitation
that has intriguing questions - the things you know folks are always
puzzling about regarding the ... reason for bringing these people
together.  And you can focus your invitational efforts on helping
individual folks know that their diverse thinking, passion for the
work and presence at this event are both welcome and will enrich this
interdisciplinary, interdepartmental (or however you see it) work.
Again: in the language of the culture you work within.

The invitation - the text, strategy (for different people, different
messages / different strategy) and the very nature of ongoing
invitation is key to any dialogue event. As you interact with the
individuals you want to invite, it because clear to them that they are
needed, wanted, welcomed, and that their special viewpoint or skill or
different way of thinking is key to your team's success.

Oh yes, and you get to invite them to the beautiful San Francisco Bay
Area (I live here so I am a bit in love with the place).
And hey - they can take field trips !

Seems to me those are plenty of reasons for people who want
specificity to feel energized and excited about attending.
That and - the perfect thing for scientists and others - the output of
the documentation component which is a natural part of Open Space -
the Book of Proceedings - narrative data.

In your invitations I would recommend not mentioning the process much
or at all - most people do not care at all about process - they care
about content, and about relationships. Those intriguing questions in
your invitation engage people about the content.

Open Space as you may know has been used very successfully with
scientists of all different kinds.  It's just about using the right
tool for the job (analyzing if the time, task, and lots of other
details inform the selection of Open Space) and framing things in a
language your culture and community relate to. And: ensuring that your
Open Space meeting is long enough to deliver the deliverables and
objectives you seek (different-length Open Space meetings yield
slightly different deliverables - 1/2 day, full day, 2 day, 2.5 day).
And: about not promising action or next steps if you really are better
served spending the time in exploration, discovery, data / idea
generation and divergent / diverse thinking - pausing (perhaps going
home to their respective locations) - having folks receive their
data / Book back afterwards - reading it, integrating the data,
reflecting - and then (with the mechanisms you probably have for
inviting surveys or other responses virtually / electronically -
making more informed, realistic identification of next steps or
decisions after they've rested, reflected and integrated the info.

As for the loss of control part - the sorts of leaders who welcome
Open Space (or will welcome, as they learn about it) are those who say
'I do not know the answers - but I feel that collectively there is
rich knowledge here - and our product / company will benefit from
tapping into that knowledge and experience'. Other leaders may feel
anxiety - very normal in a new circumstance. You can assure them there
is form, structure, pre-work, documentation - all designed for maximum
productivity. You can use it for only the right reasons / objectives
that fit the form. You can have a chat with the managers about not
facilitating all the groups but instead, being real individual
participants and understanding their own power dynamic - if they are
'helpy' and 'leader-y' during the event they may erase the
participants' ability to step forward and be co-leaders, and they may
never have the opportunity to notice that some of those participants
should indeed be noted as potentially greater human resources to the
organization than thought before.

Lastly - I find that even in a meeting where a staff is required to
attend - Open Space allows for every individual to take very good care
of themselves, and to use the time in the way they feel is most
productive for them. Some will engage, some will have 'butterfly
conversations', some will not join groups, some will. Even the
individual thinkers in Open Space are encouraged to contribute their
different thinking to the Book of Proceedings - an option for them
that honors them just as much as people who join groups. And because
it's not a linear, 'business-as-usual' meeting - they usually find
things / groups / topics that engage them.  So in my experience -
sure, the ideal is for attendance to be voluntary - but this form
welcomes people in all their ways of showing up, and gives them the
gift of feeling how they feel and thinking how they thing.

Pretty productive, I'd say...

Warm wishes for great success in your event,
Lisa

Open Space facilitators: I am going to WOSonOS in Chile this October.
Will you be joining us?
Facilitadores de Espacio Abierto: Voy a WOSonOS en Chile este mes de
octubre. ¿Va a unirse a nosotros?
http://www.wosonoschile.cl
  - The Open Space Learning Workshop
        - October 17-18, 2011 - Santiago, Chile (en español)
        - December 14-16, 2011 - San Francisco, USA

Lisa Heft
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
Fellow, Columbia University Center for International Conflict Resolution
Opening Space
lisaheft at openingspace.net