[OSList] Signing up for sessions

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Sat Nov 5 13:10:46 PDT 2011

I surely can't argue with the points made. Even less can I argue with the
notion of thinking of one more thing not to do (more time for a nap!) --
that said, I still find the "sign up" a useful occupation.

Part of it is the purely practical consideration of potential group size,
giving the convener a "heads up" if it looks like a large crowd may be
heading his or her way, and more space could be required. Then, as Birgitt
suggests, the Main room is a likely candidate, and an early change of
meeting place could smooth things out. Essential? No, and no matter, the
people will figure it out.

My real reason for such obstinacy is what I might call "Enhanced Market
Place Buzz." When the whole crowd goes to the wall to sign up (as opposed to
passively passing by) -- the place inevitably buzzes. This is not just sound
effects but there is something about the positive kinesthetic effect of
multiple bodies in close proximity. Conversations break out, questions are
asked, strangers and friends greet each other. Suddenly the ordered circle
(well sort of ordered) breaks into the marvelous chaos of a true market
place -- only to quickly resolve into the new order of multiple circles (the
groups). It is a dance that tells (is) a story.

It may be odd, but I find it useful to think of Open Space as a dance, which
reminds me that the total experience is infinitely more than the sessions
convened, words spoken, reports written. All such things are important, but
I also think it useful to notice the deeper, perhaps more subtle, streams of
meaning and purpose that flow through the gathering. Actually, as
facilitator I am rarely able to catch the words, read the
reports...especially when the language is one unknown to me. But the
dance...

So I take whatever opportunity I may have to enhance the dance. Not as a
pre-scripted choreography but the free flowing natural dance of people doing
what they need to do. And I find the "sign up" is a good place to start. If
it were a country dance, the "caller" might say something like -- "Find your
partners!"

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Dr.
Potomac, MD 20854
USA

189 Beaucaire Ave. (summer)
Camden, Maine 20854

Phone 301-365-2093
(summer)  207-763-3261

www.openspaceworld.com
www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)
To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of OSLIST
Go to:http://lists.openspacetech.org/listinfo.cgi/oslist-openspacetech.org