[OSList] Tova Averbuch on Tedx Jaffa : Opening space to collective wisdom

doug ost at footprintsinthewind.com
Thu Nov 3 07:37:37 PDT 2011

Tova and all--

The heart of your talk for me was in these words at about 16:30 in:

        “we've achieved a lot; we are in the growing business of making
        social living systems and not mechanical system. In mechanical
        system, we must start with clear goals and clear vision and
        clear objectives and we proceed to get them. In a living system
        we are preoccupied with being and belonging before we set
        objectives. A living system will try to root itself, preferably
        in nourishing environment, and to take time to make sure it's
        alive before it figures out its destination, and before the
        horizon is clear.”

This clarifies something I have never been able to put into words and
metaphors before. It carries the thought further, and tells us what OS
and all true conversation and meeting (see the work of Martin Buber) is
about: birthing a living system.

This is a step off into wide open space...and we find solid ground
beneath our foot. Anybody want to take this another step?

Tova, do you have similar writings available somewhere?

				:- Doug.

On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 08:59 -0400, Skye Hirst wrote:
> Dear Tova, I'm so excited by your TED talk. At the risk of "gilding
> the lily"  you speak so beautifully of a living entity - being and
> becoming,  autonomous and connected, the importance of diversity,
> wisdom that comes from that diversity, the simultaneous learning and
> self-organization, a living entity not a economic machine as companies
> so often are. Our work at Autognomics Institute has been working for
> over 50 years in the study of  the nature of living entities - you
> have spoken so eloquently on Open Space and on these foundational
> principles that show up throughout life - living organisms and the
> living cosmos in which we live.  Thanks so much for this.  And thanks
> for this Open Space list of fantastic conversations. You all inspire
> me to the bones.   Skye
>

> On Nov 3, 2011, at 12:09 AM, Suzanne Daigle wrote:
>
> > Dear Tova, I stayed up late tonight to watch your wonderful TED talk
> > in which you shared your beautiful story of how you started in Open
> > Space and what it means to you and others. I gladly join you in "the
> > growing business of making social living systems" with all that it
> > ignites inside each of us and for the world we live in.  Bravo and
> > thank you for sharing this with all of us!
> > Suzanne
> >
> > On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 7:18 PM, Tova Averbuch
> > <tova.averbuch at gmail.com> wrote:

 < <        With deep gratitude toeach and every one of you, my spasnic
 < <        community

 < <

 < <        Please watch http://youtu.be/adf1sjnXERE

 < <        Tova