[OSList] The 5th Principle / Sardinia leading to "Gateways to Sustainable OS"

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Wed May 25 07:19:37 PDT 2011

Bernd - How could you possibly apologize for the delightful posting to this
LIST? For me useful conversations always go in a circle with lots of mud and
gold along the way. And I feel this conversation is profoundly useful. Thank
You!

And your question is provoking in a very good sense. I started to answer and
realized that any answer was inadequate - the gateways were so numerous as
to be uncountable. Even worse what might seem like a gateway became a blind
alley in retrospect. And blind alleys suddenly opened in unexpected ways.
The story of my life! But maybe it is possible to answer on a more generic
level? Two words stand out for me: Attractive and Anomaly. And then there is
what I might call the "Tap Door."

Most of the gateways of my experience first appear as Attractive. That
attraction is usually rather subtle, rather like the smell of baking bread.
There is a growing awareness of something nice - but what that might be I am
never quite sure. And so there is the gentle urge to investigate. None of
this is to be confused with what some might call "mission and purpose."
Truthfully I have only a limited sense of what got my attention and no idea
of where it might lead. Curiosity would be a good word here. Sort of like a
kitten exploring a shopping bag, or something. The bag image, however, is
misleading because I never have a strong sense of inside and outside - I get
gently sucked in J

I become aware of "being inside" only after the fact and usually with a
feeling of anomaly. Things don't quite make sense, and my expectations are
out of line with my experience. In the really fun situations I feel like
Alice in Wonderland, knowing that "This isn't Kansas." There is also a sense
of discomfiture and disorientation which has a bitter sweet quality. What I
have taken to be given and assured is somehow compromised. In worse case
scenarios "up" becomes "down" - but it is surely exciting. Space is open.

The we come to the "trap door" experience. On a perfectly calm, fine day
while walking along minding my business - suddenly I fall through a hole.
Nothing subtle or gentle - but space opens with a rush that literally takes
your breath away. In the moment there may be a bit of panic (a lot of
panic?) - but in retrospect such times have become the watersheds of my
life. I can't say I would like to repeat them, but I have no regrets.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

Phone 301-365-2093

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of OSLIST
Go to: