[OSList] The 5th Principle / Sardinia leading to "Gateways to Sustainable OS"

Bernd Weber bernd.weber at change-facilitation.org
Tue May 24 21:01:13 PDT 2011

 Lisa Heft wrote : One less thing, and one more remembrance that telling a fact does is not the thing that makes a person feel it. Being in an experience does.

Then HO wrote:
The 5th Principle could help us to avoid missing all the truly great Open Space of the world simply because they don’t have a “proper” venue as we might understand “venue.” So if you were to ask was Tahrir Square an Open Space I suspect the immediate answer from a lot of people would be No. After all the venue was not pre-determined, people did not sit in a circle, and for sure you could not find the facilitator. Case Closed.

The differentiation between OSTech and OS Spirit (often used explicitly a while ago, but apparently melting together for the last couple of 100s of postings) seems to be useful if I connect these thoughts:

From the OS Spirit "point of view" used by Lisa here: 											Open Space is where you feel/perceive/experience it (so: if you are able & open yourself:  it is everywhere)

From the OST "point of view" used by HO in your playful way to point out the contradiction: 	Venue, pre-determined, circles, facilitator,...

So the way I see it now is: all such efforts that are usually limited to short periods of time, which I had the luck to experience in my life like ...

OST,
freedom-movements,
reaching a level of dialogue without domination (see: Habermas) e.g. in advanced group-dynamics' trainings
sucessfully analyse resistence structures (see: Freud),
free schools
meditation
?
?
?

... they all can become gateways on the voyage towards something that may not be limited to a short period of time: sustainable  OPEN SPACE

And maybe I did not make it clear in my first posting: although I do not need the 5th principle for explicitly facilitate OST, HOs 5th-principle idea reconnected me mentally to the many places/spaces I had "accidently"  and luckily  gone to during my life exactly when the context/conditions/karma? for opening was in place. And it was so evident, that I could not believe that I had not seen it before. I only had to accept that the experience spaces in my head that I had labeled as "temporary bubbles of freedom" melted together with "Open Space" this morning.

So thank you for this multi-logue on a (non-?) fifth principle of OS(T)

And here comes an invitation. I would be very interested to get also your ideas and creativity for completing the "list of OS gates" that I opened above.

																					MY QUESTION IS:
								"WHAT OTHER GATEWAYS ON THE VOYAGE TOWARDS SUSTAINABLE OPEN SPACE HAVE YOU EXPERIENCED OR KNOW OF?"

Bernd

P.S. Decision taken meanwhile: I WILL facilitate an open space as second part of the workshop "Playing with the Waves (of Change)" in two weeks near Ephesos in Turkey (see below).
P.S. 2 Sorry for the last 2 long postings, but when new ideas are whooshing around in my head I am not able to express myself in a few clear words, its always mud and gold together

Bernd Weber
> Change Facilitation s.r.o., A Global Partner Who Makes Change Happen in Complex Environments; www.change-facilitation.com, www.change-management-toolbook.com bernd.weber at change-facilitation.org; (iPhone Austria: +43 664 135 4828, landline + 431 5968657); Sri Lanka landline +94 11 2785859, iPhone Sri Lanka: +94 777740757,

NEW: Intensive Learning Workshop
"Playing with the Waves of Change"
www.change-facilitation.com/

You want to have the design  for a "Playing with the Waves (of Change) WS 2 completely taylor-made according to your individual learning interests & needs & limitations? Then go to the questionnaire at
www.surveymonkey.com/s/5ZDS6JQ

If you get Email from my account <bernd.weber at change-facilitation.org> please do not use the reply button but answer to <weberb at gmx.at>, because my change-facilitation.org INBOX is not working for the time being.