[OSList] Poke the Open Space Box

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Mon May 16 18:57:38 PDT 2011

for quite a while now, harold, i've described opening space as a practice in
invitation.  in addition to all of what that means in the meetings and
events i've facilitated, for me it's also meant that i go wherever i'm
asked, whenever i'm able.

it's also meant that i've been suggesting to clients that invitation is a
good way to do business.  i've felt it important along the way to also be in
the position of issuing invitations, not as a way to make money, though that
did happen, but first as a way to be doing and experiencing the same thing
that i've inviting others into.  i think the experience of putting my own
passions out there made me a better consultant to others.

my working definition for leadership is "practice made visible."  so to the
extent that i've worked to practice os in my own life/work/issues, it seemed
important to share that journey openly.  that's what i've done in my
website, for instance, sharing all of my working notes over a number of
years.  so to me, the way to do more open space is to do more open space,
and post the notes (my notes, not my clients' notes, that is.)

sometimes it also helps to live simply.  <grin>

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates
312-280-7838 (mobile)

http://MichaelHerman.com