[OSList] Poke the Open Space Box

Harold Shinsato harold at shinsato.com
Mon May 16 16:37:07 PDT 2011

I just read this in Seth Godin's latest tract - "Poke the Box". I've
heard occasionally that some folks are having trouble making ends meet
as Open Space Technology facilitators. Yet others seem to be doing ok.
I've been wishing I could do this full time - go out - get clients - and
facilitatre OST conferences full time - but Seth's quote kind of threw
that back at me.

"My friend Jessica wants to be a conference organizer. You can hire her
and she'll sweat every single detail of your event. Give her the
attendee list, the venue, and the agenda, and the conference will go off
without a hitch.

"The problem with this plan is that it involves being picked by the
event promoter. If she gets picked often, it's a fine living. If she can
negotiate a fair payday, it's a fine living. But Jessica must pitch the
promoter, hat in hand.

"So... why not be the promoter, the initiator, the one in charge and
responsible?"

    - Seth Godin, Poke the Box, p. 25

This sounds a lot more like the spirit of OST than going out looking for
clients who want to do OST events. This is very personal for me as
Missoula BarCamp's OST event happens on Saturday. I went out and just
got it started - but it's not exactly a money maker at this point. But
what Seth says, just initiating cool OST events, sounds a lot more juicy
than trying to pitch OST facilitation.

Any enlightenment anyone? What's the path to abundant full time Open
Space living?

--
Harold Shinsato
harold at shinsato.com <mailto:harold at shinsato.com>