Whoever comes and leaves are the wrong people?

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Mon Mar 28 15:17:31 PDT 2011

Great discussion here! I have had (rarely) the experience of people leaving
- but truthfully I never saw it as a negative. Folks were doing what folks
needed to do, and using their two feet to get it done. The only true
negative, I think, would have occurred had they opted to "tough it out" -
sitting there being miserable and making other people feel the same way. I
guess there was some question about the clarity of the Invitation, which can
be a problem. I don't think there is ever any need to "explain" Open Space -
they wouldn't believe it anyhow. But there is a necessity to be clear about
what can happen. Of course you can't predict the specific
results/conclusions, but there are definite promises you can make to all
participants. Goes like this:

Every issue of concern to anybody will be on the table, if they choose to
put it there.

All issues will be discussed to the extent that anybody cares to do so.

Summary reports of the discussions will be created.

Hot issues will be identified and working groups established.

I find that most people don't care about the process (that caring is
reserved for strange people like us). What they do care about is results and
(perhaps most especially) the opportunity to contribute. I think the
promises above take care of all those concerns. And for sure once in Open
Space, those concerns will be met. At least that has always been my
experience.

Will everybody be happy? Probably not. Seems like there is some small
percentage of folks who are born complainers. No matter what, they take it
as their professional obligation to complain. And I say Go For It! But I
can't worry about it too much.

ho

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

Phone 301-365-2093

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu: