use of Open Space in Public Utilities

Judy Gast jgast at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 16 20:10:55 PDT 2011

Hello all,

I was introduced to Open Space back in 1996 in a small monastery in Guelph,
Ontario.  It was a seminal experience that changed  my understanding of 'how
things work'.

Many years later, I now find myself (recently joined a large utility)
wanting to introduce/use Open Space to help a group of internal clients, who
are responsible for improving the grid reliability (aka 'keeping the lights
on') for this utility.   From my limited tenure (two months), the culture is
deeply embedded in command and control, and very siloed (I liken it to a
highly authoritarian parenting model.)

I searched the archives for examples that I could present. of similar
organizations with similar needs. and didn't come up with anything.  Can
anyone point me to an article/case study of an OS event that I can use to
help promote the concept to my client.

Thanks,

Judy Gast