use of Open Space in Public Utilities

Suzanne Daigle sdaigle4 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 06:19:26 PDT 2011

Dear Judy, I cannot point you to any case studies unfortunately.  I
recognize the culture you write about which is so prevalent in so many of
our organizations and can only urge you to boldly continue. Having worked
with so many electrical engineers in my career, I smile knowing that once
they get this, they will indeed be very receptive to it when they
"experience it" first-hand. I have worked as a sounding board recently with
a few courageous facilitators who have introduced Open Space on a small
scale in their organizations.  It went well and they are continuing. These
times beg for Open Space and I think our world at work is brimming with
opportunities. Would be glad to connect by phone and strategize with you any
time if you feel this would be helpful in any way.
Suzanne

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 11:10 PM, Judy Gast <jgast at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I was introduced to Open Space back in 1996 in a small monastery in Guelph,
> Ontario.  It was a seminal experience that changed  my understanding of ‘how
> things work’.
>

> Many years later, I now find myself (recently joined a large utility)
> wanting to introduce/use Open Space to help a group of internal clients, who
> are responsible for improving the grid reliability (aka ‘keeping the lights
> on’) for this utility.   From my limited tenure (two months), the culture is
> deeply embedded in command and control, and very siloed (I liken it to a
> highly authoritarian parenting model.)
>

> I searched the archives for examples that I could present… of similar
> organizations with similar needs… and didn’t come up with anything.  Can
> anyone point me to an article/case study of an OS event that I can use to
> help promote the concept to my client.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Judy Gast
> oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu: