[OSList] Intro and inquiry: Open Space with some off-limits topics

Artur Silva arturfsilva at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 14 14:31:58 PDT 2011

Dear Suzanne:

I have not understood your conclusion... Sorry...

If you make pre-work sessions on the "general conditions of the situation" (to
decide if OST is the appropriate method, what shall be the theme, etc.), isn't
it enough?

Why do you feel a need to discuss givens, boundaries or limits? They will come
out any way, or I am wrong?

I remember, some years ago, I have been invited to facilitate an Open Space
session. Speaking with the sponsor I came to understand that: 1) this was part
of an EU program, and they were going to use OST because "it was imposed by the
rules of the program"; 2) the theme, already defined, wouldn't stimulate any
passion from the people invited. The "givens" were clear without even
pronouncing the word... I have refused to facilitate the session that has been
later facilitated by a more junior facilitator, that probably has now this
"international session" in her Portfolio...

Beijos e abraços

Artur