[OSList] 답장: Re: Intro and inquiry: Open Space with some off-limits topics

Stanley Park spark.osk at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 09:00:12 PDT 2011

Conversation on givens. Brilliant!
Oh I would go even further: “Enjoy your freedom of conversing or not.”

Spirit powered by OST

spark
Liberate the leader in each of us.

Director
Open Space Institute of Korea
http://openspace.kr

2011. 7. 14. 오후 11:18에 "Suzanne Daigle" <sdaigle4 at gmail.com>님이 작성:

Dan, Harrison, Chris, and Artur,

Thank you for this discussion. Yes..."givens" close space and do bring the
elephant in the room bigger than it would have been without givens. What I
realized this morning however is that the "givens" conversation is about a
lot more than having or not having "givens".

When a Host or Sponsor puts limits on participants at the beginning of an
Open Space, it unconsciously conveys:  "I'm in charge and I/we have
decided...." or  "We or someone here knows better than you what you should
talk about".

It's the complete opposite of what we are inviting. As leaders and
participants we are so programmed this way.  We expect "boundaries" from our
leaders and leaders expect it is their responsibility to "set those
boundaries".

As a facilitator, I'll admit that I had bought into the possibility that
there might be rare instances  where having " a few givens" would make
sense. In corporate situations for example, givens like: "no we can't spend
millions that we don't have so big budget items should be off the table" or
"we won't be reorganizing the organization".  I cringe now think that this
was another way of saying "Let's not waste our time having THOSE
discussions".

 As I imagine myself a participant listening to these admonitions, I really
don't like how it makes me feel....*less!*  As if I don't  have the
intellect, maturity and smarts to know that myself and then who knows maybe
a big bucks project will come up as a topic, money will be found and the
company will be saved.

I'm not chastising the leaders; we're all guilty in expecting and accepting
givens, boundaries that limit passion and accountability.

So suddenly because of this discussion on the OS list, this topic for me is
not about "givens" anymore, it's about my intention as a facilitator  and
with others to be "holding the space for everyone (leaders and
participants)" starting from that first discussion with the client through
the planning to the actual Open Space event and beyond.

While I may not want "givens", I do want the *conversation *on "givens".
It's an opportunity to share with the client and host team what it means to
be opening space in the organization. It's about self organization and
shared leadership leading to higher performance! Something dormant that's
been there for quite awhile that we've forgotten how to tap into.

I am so grateful to you all for this breakthrough insight in me on "givens".

Thank you.

Suzanne

*NuFocus Strategic Group *
7159 Victoria Circle