[OSList] For those who "train" others in OST

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Fri Jul 8 11:42:26 PDT 2011

Very nice.  When I do convergence in public and open workshops, I invite
people to bring their real life design challenges to the space and post
sessions that will help them design those events using OST.  It gives really
motivated people a chance to dig in deeper with a project and it gives
others a chance to offer thoughts on the skills they have just learned.

Thanks for sharing these designs...

Chris

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 1:00 AM, Bhavesh Patel <bhavmail at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Friends,
>
> Below is a recent exchange between me and Diane that may have useful ideas
> for you.
>

> Smiles Bhav....

> Hi Bhavesh,
>

> Thank you for giving us such good news about your OST Learning workshop.
> Good for you for creating such an inspiring learning opportunity for so many
> people! Thank you also for sharing your process.
>

> Your timetable reflects a process that I have been moving towards more and
> more ie starting the OS experience even before lunch - gives more time after
> for participants to anchor and build their learning...which makes learning
> more meaningful. I do keep a short convergence phase for personal action the
> next morning. It allows participants to experience this focussing process as
> well as living evening News the day before (as oppose to only the closing)
> and Morning News. They can also feel the benefits of the overnight
> reflection and incubation ( a valuable experience to help clients understand
> the added value of more time) and the more relaxed transition to convergence
> when the logistics are dealt with overnight.
>

> The best to you in the new space and life you are moving into.
>

> Diane

> Brilliant, that is the bit that I was missing.... I did some convergence
> and then closed..... but your idea makes more sense...... what if we even
> put the action planning phase as the final part of Day 3, and so they would
> reflect taking the learning from the whole workshop into action, and finish
> with a closing circle.
>
> So start with OST - then have a more workshop based approach - and then
> finish with OST.... YES, that might work!
>
> THANKS.............

> Bhavesh,
>

> About your idea of action planning at the end of the workshop, here are the
> distinctions I make between the two moments of action planning during the
> workshop:
>

> - I do action planning at the end of the workshop in relations to their
> next steps for deepening their learning of OST - that is, an individual
> reflection and some sharing in duos or with the group if time permits. Doing
> action planning about the theme of the first day would not have relevance
> for them at this point and would likely feel disconnected.
>

> - At the end of convergence on the morning of day-2, the action planning is
> related to discussions they just had related to the theme of the live OS, as
> in any real OS event. This action planning is not about the OST method. The
> theme of the experiential OST can be about a variety of subjects..anything
> other than the Open Space method which is something they will have more to
> say about after the experiential OS.
>

> Hope this is useful,
>
> Diane

> Thanks Diane. I played about with the ideas you mention below when I was
> [...]

CHRIS CORRIGAN
Facilitation - Training - Process Design
Open Space Technology

Site: http://www.chriscorrigan.com

*upcoming Art of Hosting retreats:*
Bowen Island, BC<http://berkana.org/berkana/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=14&id=375&Itemid=525>-