[OSList] Is OST copyrighted? (was: Re: OST - Open Systems Thinking)

Artur Silva arturfsilva at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 18 09:01:18 PST 2011

Hi Birgitt:

I think you are making confusion between (1) the methodology "Open Space
Technology" and (2) some books that present it - or elaborate based on it.
So let me clarify what I was saying.

1. The methodology "Open Space Technology" is not copyrighted
- nor trademarked.

1.1. Indeed, it is the fact that OST is not trademarked that allows others to
"combine" OST with other methods and trademark the all “package”.

2. To be a facilitator of OST there is no "certification"
needed; anyone can begin using it and later learn more through reading
books, attending OST events, following courses or attending OSonOS events. As
Harrison putted it "Experience has shown that any individual with a good
head and a good heart can achieve satisfactory results". This is IMHO a
"foundation" of OST so important as the circle, the market place, the
law, etc.

2.1. Using OST in certification processes violates, in my opinion, this OST
"foundation".

3. What is copyrighted is Harrison Owen's book "OST - A User's
Guide", published by Berrett-Koehler - as well as other books
"related with OST" that he and others have published in traditional
book publishers. Nevertheless, it must be noted that:

3.1. The first version of "OST - A User's Guide" is not
copyrighted and can be downloaded free of charges from: http://openspaceworld.com/users_guide.htm.
And it still is a good beginning.

3.2. All books published in traditional book publishers are
copyrighted;

3.3. When the first edition of the User's Guide was published
by Berrett-Koehler, the concept of copy left (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyleft),
applied to software or books, as well as the concept of Creative Commons (http://creativecommons.org/; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons)
did not yet exist. Also, self-publishing sites (like, for instance, http://www.lulu.com/,
among many others) did not exist yet.

3.4. "OST" is not licensed as a "Creative Commons" license;
hence if OST was copyrighted/trademarked, using it as part of other methods,
would be not only unethical, but also illegal (if the OST legislation is
similar to others that I know better).

If you still have doubts about what I think, please ask. If you are clarified about
that, then we can conclude that there is indeed a difference of opinions. But
differences of opinions are always happening in organizations and communities -
and more so when the space is open - and are not necessarily a bad thing…

Regards

Artur