[OSList] ost in school change?

Michael Pannwitz michael.pannwitz at boscop.org
Tue Apr 26 11:50:09 PDT 2011

Dear Raffi

we worked with a primary school in one of the so called troubled poor
neighborhoods here in Berlin during the last year and earlier this year:
prep meeting, open space and follow up. The task was to create an afternoon
curriculum for the 4th, 5th and 6th graders which is guided by the
participation of the students addressing what they which to do. At all
stages of the process there was wide participation by the 4th and 5th
graders, at the open space some 150 of them plus teachers, some 20 parents
and about 30 people from different community organizations active in the
neighborhood participatd. The os was sponsored by the school and an NGO
called "bildog" meaning in German "education without boarders" with the
support of some parents and the 6th graders taking care of the catering.
During the event and after until now a dozen clubs were initiated at the
school, the NGO bildog created a space (one room) in the school and received
some funding for staff to support the further development of afternoon
activities at and around the school involving the growing network of
stakeholders which was created at the os in support of the students. The
event was widely covered by the local media, a professor heading a research
network involved in the democratization of schools observed the event and a
professional film crew volunteered in producing a brief clip about the open
space to further promote the activities.

Hope this is useful information - much fun at your meeting :)

love & peace from Kreuzberg, michael (the one with fewer grey hairs)

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 6:39 PM, Raffi Aftandelian <raffi_1970 at yahoo.com>wrote:

> friends,
>
> can you point me to any examples of OST being used to turn a school around,
> a schoolwide OST?
>
> I'm sure there are examples in the archives, and will be sure to sift
> through them.
>
> (if the names of particular places, facilitators who held the space for
> those events that may be in the archives come to mind, do point those out if
> you can, it'd make the task of searching the archives easier.
>
> I have a meeting with a principal tomorrow of a large inner-city school
> here in San Diego, and it would be great to cite some examples of ost being
> used for school "change," if he should ask.
>
> Of course, I know that one can cite examples until one is blue in the face,
> but i think offering those examples- if they are requested- does offer some
> level of reassurance (whatever that means!).
>
> thanks much!
> appreciatively,
> raffi
> san diego