[OSList] ost in school change?

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at boscop.org
Wed Apr 27 06:43:28 PDT 2011

Dear Raffi,
I dont know how often I have pointed folks to the data base of Open
Space events here
> http://www.openspaceworldscape.org

Presently, there are 632 events listed worldwide (of several
tenthousands), some with details beyond just the title, venue, number of
participants, type of sponsor, length, etc.
The search function gives you a chance to sort them. If you select
"schools" you get 113 hits... if you combine it with a facilitators
name, such as Sergey Laboda (Minsk, Belarus), you get 3.

It would be great to have more of the many thousands of events listed in
the data base... actually, it helped us in Berlin (originally it was set
up just for Berlin to show how OST is being used in one place) to point
to school OST events when teachers or other folks asked us about the use
of OST in a school setting (usually with a remark such as, well, it
might work for a corporation, but schools...).

The one OST event that I was involved in that actually had a far ranging
impact on the system, the leadership, the cooperation among students,
teachers and parents, the quality of the classroom work, the work of the
student body government, the participation of many more of the players
than had ever been imagined, etc....took place in 2001, the day after
9/11, for two days. It had enormous prework, involving the whole system
and several next meetings... if the sponsor wants to turn his school
around a lot of things have to be in place!

The title of the event was (this is a translation!): If our school were
able to speak what kind of school would it like to be?

Give my regards to the principal and tell him that if it worked in
Berlin it will work in San Diego!

And do place San Diego on the "World Scape" (see above)... the closest
OST events to San Diego in the data base are in Monterey,CA (HO with the
Washington Group on OT), in Phoenix (Greg Vaughan with the fire
department) and Michael jr (with ICA) and in Mexico City (Susanne Bosch
with the Centro Cultural Universitario on Utopian Art Education)...

hugs
mmp

On 26.04.2011 18:39, Raffi Aftandelian wrote:
> friends,
>
> can you point me to any examples of OST being used to turn a school
> around, a schoolwide OST?
>
> I'm sure there are examples in the archives, and will be sure to sift
> through them.
>
> (if the names of particular places, facilitators who held the space for
> those events that may be in the archives come to mind, do point those
> out if you can, it'd make the task of searching the archives easier.
>
> I have a meeting with a principal tomorrow of a large inner-city school
> here in San Diego, and it would be great to cite some examples of ost
> being used for school "change," if he should ask.
>
> Of course, I know that one can cite examples until one is blue in the
> face, but i think offering those examples- if they are requested- does
> offer some level of reassurance (whatever that means!).
>
> thanks much!
> appreciatively,
> raffi
> san diego

Michael M Pannwitz, boscop eg
Draisweg 1, 12209 Berlin, Germany
++49-30-772 8000
mmpanne at boscop.org
www.boscop.org

Check out the Open Space World Map presently showing 431 resident Open
Space Workers in 71 countries working in a total of 141 countries worldwide
Have a look:
www.openspaceworldmap.org