[OSList] Open Space Institute US - Face to Face Meeting in Florida

Suzanne Daigle sdaigle4 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 19:27:17 PDT 2011

*The Short Story of the OSI US Institute Retreat

*

What follows is the shorter transcript of what transpired at our recent Open
Space Institute US face-to-face meeting held in Sarasota, Florida over a
period of 4 days, including travel time, at the beginning of April.  As is
often the case in Open Space, the summary notes cannot capture the depth and
intent of the conversations, breakthroughs and initiatives that emerged.  We
invite you to visit the OSI US website for some of the details
http://osius.org/proceedings knowing that they are just the beginning of
another chapter in the compelling story of Open Space – one of many around
the world.

Ours is a story of invitation brimming with enthusiasm and hope as we
welcome each other:  facilitators, participants, groups, OS institutes and
people everywhere who have been touched by Open Space, a simple process with
much to offer in addressing the big issues that we face in the world today.

In another posting, you can read the *Back Story* which provides a more
intimate rendering of what happened.

On April 1st and April 2nd 2011, the OSI US Institute met in face-to-face
Open Space meetings in Sarasota, Florida.  Eight of the 9 individuals on the
board were present, Lisa Heft, Peggy Holman, Christine Whitney-Sanchez,
Harold Shinsato, Ed Laboy, Karen Davis, Doug Germann and Suzanne
Daigle.  Phelim
joined us from London at the closing circle on Sunday via Skype.

                *Our convening theme was*:

HOW DO WE ENVISION (and ENVERSION) OUR PUPOSE, ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES AS
STEWARDS OVER THE SEVEN ( 7) GENERATIONS WITHIN AND BEYOND OUR BORDERS?

   -       What is our strategic intent?
   -       What does our work imply?
   -       What are the larger issues of what we are about –
        and what do we intend to do to serve them?
   -       Who are we serving?
   -        What is our strategic purpose in relationship to other
   institutes in other         countries?

What emerged from the topics posted and conversations that ensued were three
broad initiatives, each symbolizing a deep intent for inclusive invitation,
increased transparency and a shared collaboration in everything that we do
which extends well beyond our borders.

The three areas were:

1.       Grounding (i.e. revisiting or reaffirming) our OSI US Purpose

2.       Open Space Manifesto-ing

3.       Resourcing Open Space

In the months ahead, we will be sharing more about what we see as
possibilities on these three broad initiatives and how we want to invite our
Open Space community to be a part in the spirit of whoever wants to join.

 During our meetings, we also tackled our infamous bin (i.e. agenda
initiatives and follow-up items) recognizing a dwindling passion and energy
for this catch-all list of things to do.  New bin rules were established
more in keeping with our overall mission, purpose and passion.

At the end of our Open Space gathering, individual members came forward with
commitments and offerings most of which tied directly to our three broad
initiative areas.

Suzanne

--
Suzanne Daigle