[OSList] Open Space Institute US - Face to Face Meeting in Florida

Suzanne Daigle sdaigle4 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 19:46:01 PDT 2011

*The Back Story of a Board Retreat as told by a New Member

*

A face-to-face board retreat with OSI US Institute to be held in Sarasota
Florida.

Open Space scheduled to begin early April 2nd ending Sunday April 3rd. A few
arrive on March 31st and most will leave Monday the 4th.

Folks will be staying at my home or at a friend’s house nearby except for
one in our group who is visiting family and will travel daily.  Healthy
food, a few unhealthy snacks, posters ready, a blank wall, paper and markers
and a compelling theme with plenty of space and as much time as we can
muster.

We will be eight (Lisa, Peggy, Karen, Ed, Harold, Doug, Christine, and
Suzanne) with Phelim joining from London by Skype on Sunday.

Late Thursday, people start to arrive. The weather wreaks havoc. Planes
delayed, confusion and chaos, nothing happens according to plan.  Oh well,
seems like the Wave Rider guy with the hat is part of this too, in spirit.
Foretelling of our weekend together: complex stew and churning waters
coalescing to unified and inspired possibilities feeling the presence of a
worldwide community throughout our time together!

Recent conversations on the OS list invite a deeper introspection.  As a new
member of the institute, these questions float in my head.  What is the
purpose of an OS Institute or Board anyway?   Other than for legal reasons,
is it needed?  Does it suggest hierarchy? Is it in keeping with the Spirit
of Open Space?

A bit nervous as I am meeting some people for the very first time; others I
know and feel a special bond towards them. It is the way of this Open Space
community: strangers quickly become friends.

Saturday morning: we sit in a circle.  Together we open the space, each of
us facilitating a part of the opening, feeling a creative energy emerge
already.  Our theme gets tweaked and an invitational question is added:

HOW DO WE ENVISION (and ENVERSION) OUR PUPOSE, ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES AS
STEWARDS OVER THE NEXT SEVEN ( 7) YEARS GENERATIONS WITHIN AND BEYOND OUR
BORDERS?

·         What is our strategic intent?

·         What does our work imply?

·         What are the larger issues of what we are about – and what do we
intend to do to serve them?

·         Who are we serving? (question we added)

·         What is our strategic purpose in relationship to other institutes
in other countries?

By speaking generations instead of years, we acknowledge the contribution
and wisdom of all in this worldwide Open Space community, a history that has
led to our present which is creating our future. People everywhere who love
Open Space and want to give back – volunteers investing time and money as is
the case with folks who came to Sarasota on their own nickel and dime.

Topics are posted on our Marketplace Wall, each juicier than the other.   We
want to be at all of them. I rightly guess that few will be using the Law of
Two Feet, or opt to be butterflies or bumble bees.

Our first session begins…I don’t have a strong recollection of it now.
 Something
seems amiss.  Already time for lunch and then we return and everything
stalls. I feel heavy hearts, exhaustion, some overwhelming sadness and a
confusion that has yet to be sorted.  Who are these people in this
circle?  What
is my role? Why am I here? Why are we here?

So we do check-in, a real check-in that opens up space for vulnerability and
sharing what is happening in our lives and what we see in the world.   In
that moment, as we talk about global human tragedies, what’s happening to
neighbors, friends and family, events that touch us more closely than others
and some that are just part of life, I feel us to be a microcosm of what is
happening in the world. Our sharing is cathartic, supportive and freeing. It
lasts for most of the afternoon, like waves flowing in and out of the
purpose of why we are here, what it has meant for those who have been part
of Open Space for many years and who feel it may be time to let go, and for
others like me who are new and feeling somewhat overwhelmed.  We feel a bond
of closeness develop; we feel the presence of our worldwide community with
us every step of the way. Stories and people from all parts of the globe are
mentioned, individuals we love, know and admire, friends who are opening
space boldly and courageously in so many places.  We feel connected.

It is late.  We gather together to prepare dinner sitting in that in-between
place, neither knowing what is ahead nor even clear of what was behind.  We
let it sit and decide to enjoy each others’ company over a glass of wine or
two.

Sunday morning, the beginning of a brand new day!  The sun is shining and a
new energy has infused itself into our gathering as if by magic. Exhaustion
seems to have peeled away, clarity is piercing through and people are guided
to speak what they are most passionate about and want to take responsibility
for.

 Interesting that all of this is happening as the OS list is trying to
settle into its new virtual home. Harold is sending emails updating the
worldwide community. There are bumps along the way; we know he is worried
yet somehow we all feel that things will sort themselves out and they do.   We
are excited and we know that the new virtual space for our OS list is a
leading example of what we all hope for in the future – more openness, more
room for everyone and more ways to connect, to share and contribute.

We feel a scaling up of Open Space emerging everywhere – a tipping point or
a giant wave of pent-up demand ahead. The prime ingredients that invite
spaces to be opened are everywhere: real issues of concern, high levels of
complexity, diverse groups, self-selection through invitation and urgency
with a decision time of yesterday.

Are we ready?  We feel the future contributions of a large community, more
connecting and more sharing.  This is not the work of one group or one
institute or one board. It is the work of many everywhere.  We feel driven
to action; ideas bubble up to the surface and so much is about invitation –
about inviting each other across our networks to jump in as equals each with
our unique gifts of culture, passion and purpose to open new spaces and to
help others who are opening space for the first time.  A new beginning that
we all feel excited to be part of in a way that allows those who have served
on this institute and in other places elsewhere to slip into the background
one day knowing that others are emerging to constantly create the future!  But
that day has not yet come.  We are all energized and engaged because we are
following our own Law of 2 Feet, leading from a place of passion – the place
that is inviting collaborative action on a bunch of projects that we want to
work on with others everywhere.

In the end, as I reflect on the role and purpose of the OSI US institute and
other similar groups around the world, self-organized and loosely
structured, I know we are no different than others; we are all individuals
who have been touched by Open Space, wanting to give back. And we are
excited because we see networks of people around the world inviting each
other more and more. It is the spark that threaded its way through in all of
our conversations in Florida not too long ago.

Check this link to read about future initiatives:

  http://osius.org/proceedings

Suzanne