open space and heros

Gail West icataiw at ms69.hinet.net
Tue Nov 30 19:25:25 PST 2010

Christine,

A favorite story about heroes and special guests
of mine:  The Parents Union from an elementary
school here sponsored an OS inviting parents,
teachers, staff, some principles from other
elementary schools and members of the Education
Dept.  Five special expert guests arrived, they
were presented with flowers for their lapels as
is customary here, and all joined the circle
(down low on elementary school size chairs).  The
sponsor began by saying what an exciting day it
was, people were very eager to begin their topic
conversations, but they wanted to especially
welcome and honor the guests who had contributed
so much to education, etc, etc, so she would ask
each to say something to the group.  And they
each had 1 minute to do that (with a very big
smile!).  At the end of 1 minute she thanked #1,
passed the mic to #2, and so on.   And everyone
clapped loudly.  They were caught off guard but
actually looked relieved and pleased enough to
stay around for the OS to get going, which is not
the custom.

Looking forward to your report!

Gail

--