OST following a creative enhacing training

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at boscop.org
Mon Nov 15 01:55:58 PST 2010

Dear Lisa, dear Artur...
basically, Lisas notes reflect my experience with about 200 os events
over the last 14 years.
In the early days of my practice I spoke quite a bit about "Open Space"
(how it came about, the originator, etc.).
For some time now, I might  mention "Open Space" once (if you look at
the introduction which is part of the book "Meine open space Praxis" I
pick up on "Open Space" in response to something the sponsor/my client
said in his remarks...in this case he mentioned that Open Space is also
fun).
There always are a few sentences in the invitation to the event about
OST, however.
Also, I say practically nothing about the "Theme" but encourage the
sponsor/my client to do a bit of that in his "Welcome" (where he
actually opens the space with traditional welcoming words, saying
something about the Theme and, most importantly, talks a bit about his
own passion...no more than 5 minutes for all of that).
And I also "explain" or rather illustrate each principle, the law, the
bumble bees, the butterfly in my words...
All this is done to reduce the time before the participants start to act
themselves...and I discovered over the years that the simpler, shorter,
more matter-of-fact... the introduction became, the easier it seemed for
the participants to get "into the spirit" , forget about the
facilitator, do their thing...and in my observation expanded the
possibilities for the forces of selforganisation to do its thing (which,
I find, is not the same as the apparent self-organizing mode the
participants get into).
On first reading, I was comfortable about what you said about "training"
and that Open Space meetings are not trainings. And then I remember how
I used to do "trainings" twenty years ago and how I facilitate trainings
for Open Space Technology these days... and that is certainly vastly
different from the "traditional" trainigs I used to do. Perhaps this is
a different topic but briefly, in OST trainings I am involved in there
is absolutely no "explaining" on my part (participants explain it to
themselves and to each other, I suppose)... I tell participants before
the training that there is no way to learn or teach OST but, at best, it
can be "remembered"... and that takes about 5 days.

Greetings from Berlin
mmp

Michael M Pannwitz, boscop eg
Draisweg 1, 12209 Berlin, Germany
++49-30-772 8000
mmpanne at boscop.org
www.boscop.org

Check out the Open Space World Map presently showing 412 resident Open
Space Workers in 71 countries working in a total of 141 countries worldwide
Have a look:
www.openspaceworldmap.org