OST following a creative enhacing training

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Sun Nov 14 20:46:20 PST 2010

Hi, Artur -

Regarding the outdoor experiences the day before an Open Space: many
things can happen the day before an Open Space. But as Open Space
delivers intimate passionate discussion, relationship-building, a
sense of community or team, energetic interchange and even laughter -
I not only see no reason to design in preliminary activities *but*
have actually seen an Open Space suffer after these.  And I have seen
the same as Harrison noted - participants have often said 'why didn't
you give us more time for our work / play / discussion in Open Space -
we could have used it'.
This includes introduction / warm-up / 'icebreaker' activities. Even
going around in a circle hearing what everyone's name and title is
seems to be taking up valuable time for participants - they always say
how they came to know and remember each other much more deeply because
of their shared interests and spirited discussions in the Open Space
and that a traditional introduction both is hard to remember plus can
often set up assumptions about who is supposedly who.

Regarding the introduction / explanation of Open Space - I feel
strongly that one should explain the principles and law BEFORE opening
up the floor for topics / agenda co-creation.
Because you are explaining / inviting a different way of being. You
are explaining when you explain principles and law that everything is
possible, including visiting multiple discussions during a single
session.
You are letting people know to follow the energy of the conversations
rather than their pre-conceived agendas.
And you are also letting people know that even if one person comes
that is exactly the amazing perfect thing - they can write in silence
and contribute even if they have a completely different way of thinking.
The explanation of principles and laws (not just the reading of the
text on the posters) is one of the essential invitations in Open
Space, I believe.

Also: your client said that they do that certain way (explaining only
each thing as needed) for ***trainings****.
That is a very good way to do a training.
Open Space meetings are not trainings.

A very important difference for design, explanation, dynamics,
information the participants need for their self-organized work,
objectives, outcomes and more. Right?

Lisa

Lisa Heft
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator