SV: self-organization and "conscious" Open Space organizations [was OST and PD (Positive Deviance)]

Artur Silva arturfsilva at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 14 14:09:12 PST 2010

Hi Thomas:

Answering your questions:

- In what concerns group facilitation I only use OST (if the situation is
adequate for that) or The World Cafe (if it is not adequate for OST, but it is
for TWC). If the situation is not suitable for any one of these, I tell the
(possible) client (for instance a manager that has already "the solution" and
wants to sell it to the staff, or if he/she is a control type and wants a more
controlled and directive method) that they must find a different facilitator.
(This is probably easier for me to than for some others as facilitation is not
my main job).

In what concerns the pre-planning and de-briefing I normally don't use OST and
would only consider to use it if the customer had already used OST in many
previous events.

In what concerns education and training I normally use un-traditional non-OST
based methods, often followed by an OST session to discuss the issues at hand.
But I think I still use the spirit of OST. Please read my contribution to the
book initially called "A present for Harrison" and later "Festschrift - 25 years
of Open Space" to see what I mean by that, how I arrived to OST and why I don't
like directive facilitation methods.

Warm regards

Artur