SV: self-organization and "conscious" Open Space organizations [was OST and PD (Positive Deviance)]

Thomas Herrmann thomas at openspaceconsulting.com
Sun Nov 14 12:13:46 PST 2010

Hi and thanks for sharing

Just got curious and want to ask you Artur if you always use Open Space
Technology when you work with a group? I find more and more opportunities
but still think that there are times when I need a more “directed” approach.
For me, most of the times WPPF is the best complementary method – although I
usually separate them and use them according to when I find they fit best.
When I use OST, (which is part of almost all of my assignments!) I consider
myself to work pretty much “by the book” – because I think that works best!

For example I have, so far, never used only OST all through a OST-process
with a client (prework, main event and follow up). I am pretty sure I will
try a full OST for a pre-meeting soon, probably with one of the “free”
events I occasionally do with non-profits (as mentioned earlier we actually
used Open Space for the pre-work for WOSonOS here, back in 2003).

Other occasions when I find WPPF useful are when I facilitate learning
during trainings and some workshops. One example is a workshop I facilitated
a couple of weeks ago in a nearby University. A researcher had some findings
that she was invited to share – and we included her sharing into a powerful
WPPF container which gave (I think) a completely different level of learning
than would have happened in a more traditional way of sharing research
findings. With the time constraints of 3,5 hours I did not find OST to be a
good choice for this.

Warm regards

Thomas