self-organization and "conscious" Open Space organizations [was OST and PD (Positive Deviance)]

Artur Silva arturfsilva at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 14 10:27:29 PST 2010

Hi Raffi:

The Concepts of "Whole Person" and "Whole Person Approach" have been around for
some time and are not new (for instance,
see http://www.well.com/user/dooley/change.pdf, A Whole-Person/Systemic Approach
to Organization Change Management, By Jeff Dooley, copyright 1998), and the same
is true with other concepts like "left brain/right brain", "learning styles",
etc. Of course, anyone can take a piece from here and another from there and
give it a new name, and eventually even trademark it.

My only experience attending a Whole Person session was that I was being
directed to do this or that, because the facilitator was convinced that this or
that would put my right brain at work (which is not neededbecause it is always
at work...). But the point is that I don't like being "directed" neither to
"direct others".

For me, the magic of OST is that the facilitator does not need to direct people
(except, eventually, as Harrison recalled, to justify the fee). Just open some
space and the whole person will appear and real whole people will direct
themselves and do the job.

Abraços (this time in Portuguese)

Artur