Opening Space in Bilbao_CONSP!RING EUTOKIA

ELEDER AURTENETXE PILDAIN eleder.aurtenetxe at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 09:01:28 PST 2010

EUTOKIA is a place for what is called social innovation supported by the
Bilbao Council. It's being inaugurated starting tomorrow and finishing with
a half day Open Space event I was invited to facilitate just last Monday: 3D
BURUMAPA.

The conditions have been quite special. Some points about it:

   - The  invitation was already made. Even if the sponsors and their
   invitation embody the OS spirit, I suggested some changes that we are going
   to introduce in the signals in the room.
   - They insisted that they don't want to ask people to confirm attendance,
   as it may be a bit as "forcing".
   - They asked me, so to think how to make it really easy to get introduced
   in the job for people coming at whatever time (the attendance is supposed to
   be something like this: 20 people at 4, 20 more at 5, 20 more at 6, maybe 40
   more between 6 and 8 and many people leaving in between). I thought about
   some lines to hand out to facilitate a quick understanding of OS.
   - Taking notes and the final report may happen, but the sponsors
   challenge (that I accepted) was to integrate every idea and note during the
   event in one big Mind Map.
   - I'll open space in both Basque and Spanish to encourage conversations
   taking place in both (everybody coming know Spanish, but I'm sure that
   different languages would form different groups and give birth to more
   diverse ideas), so I'll be trying to be as short as possible in the
   introduciton message. That's why I'm very interested about the answers to
   Artur's last message (OST following a creative enhacing training) that I
   repost here:

"....Anyhow the main facilitator/trainer of the previous day made me a
suggestion that I would like to have your opinions about. The suggestion was
based in the way they have done their trainings in the past (explaining
everything in the beginning) and the way they do now (explaining only what
is needed for each phase). So the suggestion was to divide the opening in
two parts: the first one with a bit of history and the presentation of the
timetable with no Agenda and then ask for session topics; and then explain
the principles, law and animals and go on to the Market Place." ...

I have some opinions about this, but I prefer to give them later. At this
moment I would like to know if anyone has ever tried this two-steps type of
opening and with what results. If not (and considering the context I have
mentioned of the previous one day training) what do you think about the
suggestion I have received?..."

If you know about anyone near Bilbao that might be interested in OS, forward
this piece of info, please, and our invitation to join us in  the
consp!ration.

Thanks for your support,

Eleder

pd: I recently moved from Bilbao to Mundaka, a small town on the coast, much
more inspiring for waver riders, sure :-)!