AW: making requests of leaders?

Catherine Pfaehler c.pfaehler at bluewin.ch
Tue Nov 30 14:53:02 PST 2010

I have been in 2 OS events where we made requests for certain groups of
people to hold back.

One was a 2.5 day OS meeting with people living with AIDS and some
professionals working with them. On the first day, the professionals were
not allowed to post any topics, but were to listen only. On the second day,
they could post topics, ask for feedback on their projects etc. We decided
on that to empower the usually expert-depending people living with AIDS, and
it worked out wonderfully. The first day was much more interesting than the
second day. However, for the professionals, it was a great experience to be
so close to so many "clients", to feel them, to understand what were their
concerns as a population, so "listening only" was not bad at all for them.

The other one was a 1 day OS meeting with cancer patients and their
families. The (few) medical doctors and professionals present from the
cancer league were supposed to only listen. Some did, and others just
couldn't let go of their role. However, for the professionals, it was an
overwhelming experience to learn how well informed the "clients" were.
Before the event, the cancer league was certain never to have a patient in
any of its organs. After the event, they started looking for a patient who
would come to join their board.

Love, Catherine

Catherine Pfaehler
lic.oec.HSG