WOSONOS - feeling of a missed opportunity.

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Mon May 17 14:42:02 PDT 2010

Karolina - no doubt about it. The circle turned inside out is powerful
indeed. In the very early 90's, pretty much on a whim, I did just that and
will always remember the moment. This was a gathering of The Together
Foundation - a multinational with positive visions for the world. I think
there were 24 countries, but who was counting. And after two days of intense
and rich conversations we gathered for the closing circle, which happened
just like usual with the Talking Stick. As we came to the end, I asked
everybody to link hands and I led a marvelous procession outside. And what
an "outside" it was! We were meeting in Jackson Hole, Wyoming at the feet of
the Grand Tetons. Nearby was a small hill and I made for the top with 250
people in tow. When we reached the summit, I circled the troops - and over
the soft mountain winds I said -" We have had two wonderful days of being
with each other, and if you look around this circle you will know how
wonderful it has been. But there is a morrow, and if you drop your hands and
turnabout in place you will be there. We are now facing 360 degrees of the
compass, and very shortly we will follow our compass. If it feels a little
lonely and strange, just remember all the love at your back." They did and
we did. How could you go wrong with the Tetons as a background 360 degrees?

I don't know that there is a "right" way to end an Open Space - but that is
certainly my favorite.

And Yaris - I surely hear your question, "if os is white and rich."  But I
rather suspect that our friends and colleagues in Haiti, East Africa and
West (Liberia most recently - where it all began), India, and Asia might be
a little puzzled. Doubtless their skin shade is a little different and
darker than most of those assembled in Berlin. And I am absolutely positive
that they consider themselves as "part of the circle." As a Navaho Chief
(who's skin was several shades darker than mine) said at the conclusion of
an Open Space on something I can't remember - "What took you so long White
Man?" He was there first, and I am eternally thankful.

Which I guess takes us back to the beginning of this response. The circle is
always open and eventually it MUST turn inside out. And this also takes us
back to the "rich" part. Airplane tickets cost money. Some of us have it,
and some don't. But those who do (have money) have a special obligation, I
think - to turn the circle inside out. We might also remember that Open
Space is NOT Berlin, Chile, or wherever. That is just a touchdown point of
the community as it moves around the  planet - rather like a cyclone with
all the destructive/constructive possibilities. Shiva doing the Dance!

Dance on Baby - definitely cool!

Harrison

Ps - And of  course we need to find resources for other good folks to join
us. Just remember, a  lot of them already have (joined us) - even before we
knew anything about Open Space! J

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

Phone 301-365-2093

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu: