First Time!

Jenifer Toksvig never at acompletelossforwords.com
Mon May 3 15:51:54 PDT 2010

Am on holiday in California. Gorgeous sunshine! I usually write musicals
really well out here, but am not getting much work done, and have been
studiously ignoring email! Now wading through inbox with thigh-length
wellies on. Apologies it took so long to respond to theseŠ

I said, of my upcoming OS event: ³As with all events like this, we¹ve had
people come back and say they¹d love to attend but they can¹t. I¹m
encouraging them to email me the questions they would have asked at the
conference, so we can post them on the walls in case they inspire questions
in others. I was going to add those questions / comments to the final
report, in an addendum. Good idea? Rubbish idea?²

Phelim responded: ³If they are there already or created as an add on before
it could be seen as a seperate directive not from the right people who have
come. [Š] I really feel the importance of the energy of those who came is
really it. Not those elsewhere.²

Chris said: ³Even a list of questions in the room that are disembodied from
the askers is - aesthetically speaking - more about absence than presence.²

I agree with both of you, and very well put. Am following your advice: ³An
alternative might be to find a website somewhere that will let you set up a
forum or a wiki where people can pose these questions and convene online
conversations.²

I¹m going to make the Facebook page (thanks, Chris!) be a place for those
who cannot attend to open up space if they want to join in.

Doug said: ³My own take on it is if they do not have the energy to clear
their schedules to come, or if they are distracted, then their questions
will tend to be head questions.²

That is such a good point. Also, you¹re very wise to say: ³Perhaps it might
help to notice where this desire to get questions ahead of the event is
originating. Is it coming from our fear, as facilitators, that people will
not be able to come up with their own live questions on the day?²

Actually, I think I trust the room implicitly, but I don¹t trust that anyone
will show up in the first place. Setting up the Facebook page might help me
with thatŠ or hinder me with that! If no-one shows up on Facebook, I need to
try avoiding additional panic :-)

Jen x

Jenifer Toksvig
never at acompletelossforwords.com

MThe:UK / LIPA Conference
How are we shaping the future of musical theatre?
June 2010
http://www.lipa.ac.uk/content/EventsPublicPerformances/Conferences/MusicalTh
eatre2010.aspx