might this belong in the research section?

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Tue Mar 23 10:27:59 PDT 2010

this from a recent nytimes article.  would seem to describe what happens in
open space, no?

whole article...
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/17/talk-deeply-be-happy/?src=me&ref=general

--

Deep conversations made people happier than small talk, one study found.

Would you be happier if you spent more time discussing the state of the
world and the meaning of life — and less time talking about the weather?

It may sound counterintuitive, but people who spend more of their day having
deep discussions and less time engaging in small talk seem to be happier,
said Matthias Mehl, a psychologist at the University of Arizona who
published a study on the subject.

“We found this so interesting, because it could have gone the other way — it
could have been, ‘Don’t worry, be happy’ — as long as you surf on the
shallow level of life you’re happy, and if you go into the existential
depths you’ll be unhappy,” Dr. Mehl said.

But, he proposed, substantive conversation seemed to hold the key to
happiness for two main reasons: both because human beings are driven to find
and create meaning in their lives, and because we are social animals who
want and need to connect with other people.

“By engaging in meaningful conversations, we manage to impose meaning on an
otherwise pretty chaotic world,” Dr. Mehl said. “And interpersonally, as you
find this meaning, you bond with your interactive partner, and we know that
interpersonal connection and integration is a core fundamental foundation of
happiness.”
more...
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/17/talk-deeply-be-happy/?src=me&ref=general

--