Signage...

Martin Grimshaw martin at decisionlab.org.uk
Wed Jun 30 03:10:34 PDT 2010

Love Michael's story :))

For me, setting out new signs is part of the joyful prep before an
event. I usually have an old set rolled up just in case things are
hectic, but it is a wonderful exercise to pull in helpers,
co-facilitators, or random strangers and put them to work on drawing up
new ones. I have found that to be a great learning experience for them,
and in the spirit of the co-creation of the event. Likewise, at one
event I roped in a couple of assistants to name the break out areas, and
draw pictures to distinguish them. They decided on their favourite
animals, rather than eg Room 1, 2... and their artistry and
inventiveness was great, so we had a load of people new to Open Space
(and for whom it was quite a strange experience) wandering around asking
where 'Tapir' and 'Hedgehog' and 'Giraffe' were and people pointing to
sketches posted above doors, which was both immense fun and
significantly contributed to the atmosphere and therefore success of the
event.

The signage, and also all the flip chart sheets once some time has
passed beyond the report generating, can be recycled or turned into
compost. /I really enjoy describing OS as a method for creating
'Compostable Conferences'/.

Very warm regards!

Martin Grimshaw
http://DecisionLab.org.uk