OST + wiki = ProjectWiki

Pat Black patoitextiles at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 06:22:20 PDT 2010

Robert
I totally agree that wikis and other technologies are no replacement for
face to face and can't have the powerful effects of relationship building
that the face to face experiences have.  What they are great at is allowing
for those conversations to continue once there has been a face to face.
 They also create a structure that can manage very complex organizing
amongst many people who are working on the same project and document those
efforts almost effortlessly.

I work with teachers to develop projects that integrate an academic disciple
with an art or environmental project to enhance understanding and knowledge
in the academic discipline.  Documentation and assessment has always been an
issue for me as I have to step out of my role as teaching/ collaborating
artist to document.  This was always a perplexing issue for both me and
teachers but with a wiki we capture it all from the initial Open Space
gathering to the descriptive review critique process students use to
evaluate throughout and for the most part it students take care of the
documentation.

I agree with Lisa that the wiki has to serve a purpose for participants
after the initial OS event.  Adult participants won't go to a wiki to visit
about the event and develop relationships, kids will go to just see what
there friends are doing.  It is easier for them to have virtual
relationships.  But people will use the wiki if they are working on a joint
project and need to coordinate efforts.
Pat