OST + wiki = ProjectWiki

Robert Fabian robert at FABIAN.CA
Tue Jun 8 05:32:01 PDT 2010

Pat et al,

I'm new to OST, but have some ancient history with socio-tech and Search. I
like what I've been able to discover about OST. Given my roots in
technology, I began to explore how / if technology could be used in the Open
Space process. Some preliminary thoughts:

Technology should not be used to replace face-to-face. The dynamic is wrong,
... but may be a practical alternative for children of different ages and
experiences. With adults, I can't see using technology as the medium for
Open Space.

That said, there are possible roles for technology. Technology could be used
to collect information, and then result in the instant publication of an
event report. But technology used that way is pure support. Might technology
be used to extend an event?

To my mind, Wiki dynamics don't provide a virtual mirror for the actual
event. I'm attracted by the idea of using Organic Groups within the Drupal
Content Management System. Organic Groups can be made to mirror the sessions
which are such a basic part of OST. Anyone (after registering) can (be
allowed to) create an Organic Group. Organic Groups can be visible to all
(or kept private), but to contribute you need to join the Group. They
provide a reasonable virtual environment for use of the Law of Two Feet.

The technology is inexpensive. Drupal with Organic Groups comes as an open
source bundle and will run on an inexpensive virtual web server. Total out
of pocket expense to set up and operate a site (technically powerful enough
for thousands) would be less than $100/year.

The virtual space can mirror the face-to-face Open Space. The dynamic will
be different. Depending on the participants, the virtual space may be a
turn-on, ... or a turn-off. But with the right group of participants, I'm
optimistic that Drupal with Organic Groups could be an effective virtual
extension of Open Space.

Bob Fabian - www.fabian.ca