Shy people... (?)

Barry Owen barryo at comcast.net
Thu Jul 22 04:41:46 PDT 2010

Jon,

My experience is that the process (OST) takes care of these "shy" people
without anything new for me to do (no intervention)

Many of them become butterflies and say what they came to say one-on-one . .
. a bumblebee gets ahold of their ideas and buzzes around with them thereby
becoming their megaphone.

I believe many shy people want to find "co-conspirators" to raise their
confidence before opening their mouths . . . so they typically are mute at
the opening . . . and sometimes the most vocal after they've found some
kindred Spirits.

There's my 2 cents . . . Looking forward to "hearing what others have to
say.

Best,

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 3:26 AM, Jon Harvey
<jon at jonharveyassociates.co.uk>wrote:

>  Dear all
>

> You won’t be surprised to know that I have never had a problem speaking
> (and even performing) in public. This isn’t just because I have a lot of
> passion and desire to make the world a better place (and entertain people!)
> – it is because I have a good dollop of confidence. I probably blame my
> parents for this as they always had lots of confidence in me.
>

> So when it comes to speaking up in an Open Space and saying what session I
> would like to run, there is no problem for me. But there does appear to be a
> problem for some people. Maybe. When I am facilitating an Open Space, I aim
> to do all I can in the introduction to make it easy for anyone, no matter
> how shy or lacking in confidence they are, to come forward. Whilst I almost
> always step outside of the circle, I hang about near the microphone
> sometimes, or not. I place chocolates in the middle to lure people into
> declaring their passion and offering to run a session. I look calmly on and
> simply ‘be’ when no one is coming forward... (sometimes).
>

> And then the sponsor says, perhaps people are just too shy, speaking into
> the microphone is just too daunting, will you offer to speak for people if
> they write it out first, shall I do this, could they just place the meeting
> notice on the agenda wall, is Open Space only for confident people, do we
> need more structure...? (etc.) I feel uncomfortable, I know that people have
> ideas and questions they would like to discuss and I know some people find
> speaking to a group (big or small) really, really scary. I want to stay
> ‘true’ to the principle of passion in OS – but I also want to help... Or am
> I in danger of intervening too much? Whatever happens is the only thing
> which could have, and whoever turns up is the right people...
>

> I could go on... but I hope you get my gist.
>

> What do you do? How do you create the space in which everyone who has a
> passion, no matter how scared they feel, comes forward with their offer? How
> do you make that daunting threshold of speaking to a group, just so ‘right’
> that no one feels too shy to come forward – if they want to come forward...?
>

> All the best
>

> Jon

> *Jon Harvey*
>
> Director
>

> " www.jonharveyassociates.co.uk
>

> ( +44 (0) 7771 537535
>
> ( +44 (0) 1280 822585
>
> *›** * jon at jonharveyassociates.co.uk
>
> *¹**  **Skype*: jonsharvey**
>

> [image: JHAL logo.jpg]
>
> *Helping you connect the prose and the passion *
>
> *to deliver superlative results*
>

> http://smallcreativeideas.blogspot.com/  for ideas about how to improve
> the efficiency & effectiveness of public & third sector services
>
> http://jonharveyassociates.blogspot.com/ for articles & ideas about
> leadership and organisational change from a whole systems perspective

> [...]

Barry Owen
Real Estate Broker
Professional Coach

Connect with me @ Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, Plaxo

Call me: 615-568-2123

Read my Blog: http://activerain.com/blogs/barryo
Visit The Owen Group http://www.theowengroup.net
http://www.owengroupnashvillehomes.com
Barry Owen’s Internet Portal to all blogsites, websites, and social networks
http://tnrealestatetribalhub.wordpress.com/2009/06/02/barry-owens-web-portal/

Simply & BOLDLY Living the FourFold Way in Open Space!

Quintessentially connected to the real estate industry to offer the ultimate
experience for Home Buyers and Sellers in Middle Tennessee . . . Inquire
within!