OS for theatre in Berlin

Christine Whitney Sanchez cwhitneysanchez at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 15:37:13 PDT 2010

Hi Phelim,

For the 2005 Girl Scout convention, we initially considered having
simutaneous open space events, with the closing in the same space.  We
pictured having the girls and agile adults sit on the floor in a tight
circle with concentric circles of adults standing behind them.  Our
biggest concern was the ability of the older adults to stand up for
that long.

Luckily, they were able to find a gigantic space so we went back to a
more standard design.  We had planned for many more breakout sessions
for the one day event but in the end, over 1700 participants posted
only 94 sessions.

I like your idea of connecting the spaces via video cam - looks like
you may be our pioneer in a jazzy way to open the space (certainly up
your alley).

In the early 90's we went to a five day retreat with the Dalai Lama,
who is clear that, as both a matter of courtesy and a matter of
protecting the sacred space, no one can enter the room late.  He
entered the room precisely on time and the doors would close behind
him. There were smaller spaces set up to accomodate late comers, where
the proceedings from the main room were broadcast live.  Any one who
cared to could meditate or listen to teachings from several different
spaces.  I thought at the time - this could be adapted to open space.

Love from a warm and windy day in Phoenix,

Christine

Sent from my iPhone