Wikis and Open Space

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Mon Nov 30 08:13:05 PST 2009

hello rut,

here  is some of the link between wiki and open space...

peggy holman told me about wiki, maybe as early as 1999 or 2000?  i went to
see ward's wiki and portland pattern language and didn't understand any of
it.  in fact, i walked around for a few days utterly baffled by this word
"pattern" that i thought i remembered actually knowing and using, but now i
had no idea what it meant anymore.

then, the real connecting happened in 2001.  i facilitatated a big slice of
the agile/xp universe (agile development, extreme programming) conference
here in chicago.  they used a wiki to capture all the proceedings.  along
the way, a participant from stuttgart, chris wega, coached me in how to set
up a wiki, and asked lots of questions about facilitating open space.  i had
a wiki up and running by the end of the conference.  six months later, i'd
set them up at open spaceworld for all the english content, for artur's
iberian language work, for the estonians, and some others.  we used a wiki
for the proceedings of the 2002 osonos in marysville (australia) and i
introduced wikis to my training groups in various places around the world,
using it to capture some proceedings.  i also heard from chris that he'd
gone home and the local/regional java users group/board had blown up and
he'd jumped in and facilitated a larger open space meeting of the membership
in that vacuum.  so that was one big trade.  i know i met diana larsen at
that conference, as well.  and if she knew about ost before the conference,
she knew more about it afterward, and that's when she started facilitating
ost, i think.

later, 2006, a number of us organized "recent changes camp" in portland.
this was a downstream thing that flowed from a "giving conference" and two
"omidyar member conferences" that we'd planned in 2004 and 2005.  the
planning for recent changes camp was actually begun by ted ernst and some
wiki folks, who'd been to our earlier conferences and so used the expansive
dashboard of their mini-van as that posting wall for open space discussion
topics, as they drove from portland to seattle to *san diego* to wikisym.
at wiki sym, they opened a spontaneous space with a bulletin board wall for
issues created in a hallway and with nametags that said "ask me about open
space."  ted ernst was asked to facilitate more formal open space at two or
more subsequent wikisyms, one of which he co-facilitated with gerard
muller.

when recent changes camp did happen, i facilitated that.  ward cunningham,
wiki creator, was there, as were a number of other very wiki people.  the
point of the event was, after the wikisym guerrilla open space effort, to do
a proper 3-day open space, with wiki folks, other tech folks and a bunch of
community organizer/facilitator types, to make a lot of connecting and
learning, but also so the techies could get a really good, clean look at
ost.  many were intrigued, given barcamp history, but hadn't seen a good
clean ost event.  so they ran the test, it worked perfectly.  the whole
thing was planned, documented, and sustained for several rounds, maybe still
echoing, in a series of wiki sites.  kaliya hamlin was among the more
technical folks present for that first recent changes camp, so that was
another big connecting between the two stories.

there's no doubt more to the story than this, but these are likely some of
the big chunks.

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates

http://www.michaelherman.com