Facilitation disasters - your stories please

Allison & Jim Baensch mbody at iinet.net.au
Sun Nov 15 14:22:32 PST 2009

Hi Robyn and all,
I had a situation with some similarities to and some differences from
yours a while ago, soon after I first moved into a small town.

A community group asked me to facilitate a meeting, and their 2 main
organisers met me a couple of times to make arrangements, at quite
short notice.
I was happy to be involved.

My only concern was the length of time for the meeting, which I
couldn't seem to establish, since the organisers would not say clearly.
They said something about 30 minutes, which I said was rather short,
but then they thought 60 to 90 minutes would be possible.
I said people could go when they needed to.

The organisers and I set up a pre-meeting with the leader of another
local group, which had similar interests and prospective members
attending, but she didn't come to our pre-meeting.

On the day of the event, lots of people gathered, the 2 organisers
summarised the situation to them, then I was introduced and got up to
open the space.
I briefly described the principles and law etc in 5 or so minutes,
and a woman I had not met stood up in the circle.
She turned out to be the leader of the other group.

She said the group needed to learn more about what had been happening
about the topic for the gathering, and she didn't think Open Space
would be appropriate.
Instead, the group needed someone to talk to them, she stated firmly.

I said I was willing to step aside, if that is what the group wanted,
but asked if everyone was in accord with the one who had stood up to
speak.
No-one said otherwise, so I sat down and let the meeting find its own
way.

After the meeting, one or two people said they would have liked to
experience Open Space.
The 'funny' thing was that the participants moved into their own
informal Open Space, once the speaker sat down.

One of the things the organisers had been told they needed, was
confirmation of what  local participants wanted.
The organisers wanted to take proceedings to the local council to
back their case for being allocated some public land and so on.
Because the Open Space part of the meeting was so informal, no
proceedings were written down.
But I imagine that whatever happened was the only thing  etc...

My main concern was that local folks might think less of Open Space
and not use it in the future for other events.
I wondered what signals I might have missed when setting up the event.
(I haven't run many events yet, and hoped I hadn't 'let the side down'.)

And I was annoyed that the woman who stood and took over the meeting
had not  attended the earlier meeting that was set up specifically to
inform her about Open Space.
Without knowing of her existence and power, I am not sure which other
way I might have gone, under the circumstances.
Any thoughts?

Allison.
PS Good on you, Robyn, for stepping aside.
I admire your gumption.
Best wishes with the week ahead.

Thanks for that idea of just standing there, Michael.
I think it would be a good idea for me to read the book you
mentioned:  Don't Just Do Something, Stand There!