Embracing Invitation (was Digest - 24 May 2009 to 25 May 2009 (#2009-133)

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Tue May 26 22:07:31 PDT 2009

we did a food security summit for illinois here in chicago some years ago.
it was two months after 911.  most of the issues were about organic farming,
emergency food, farmer training, land use, urban food production and so
forth.  ted ernst, who's been seen floating through here before, but up a
brilliant, cut-through-the-unspoken-conflict sort of question -- do hungry
people care if it's healthy and is that even a fair question.

but somebody else put up an issue called "food and terrorism".  eight people
showed up to the session.  turns out all of them wanted to learn and none of
them arrived knowing anything about the question.  they talked around it for
quite a while and by session's end they had a plan.  they went out and did
research.  then wrote letters to the major papers, which got published.
they ended up getting interviewed on tv and radio news shows.

maybe this is one of those cases when the expert didn't show.  and i'm
guessing that if an expert had showed up, everybody might have listened
intently and gone away a little relieved that there was an expert out
there.  as it was, these folks stumbled on a real hole, a real need, and
took full responsibility for filling it as best they could.

so maybe the boeing story is such a good one because the expert didn't show?

and, just to be clear... a few days ago brendan referred to "can catholics
do this?" as a michael herman quote.... that would actually be a michael
herman favorite story, about a client who wasn't sure his catholic folks
could do ost.  punch line is that i found a 68-year-old (and very catholic)
nun to come by and talk about how her order had been using ost in their
annual meetings for some years.  could not have been anyone more
convincing!

somehow the right people really do show up.

--

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates

http://www.michaelherman.com