Invitation

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Wed May 27 07:11:34 PDT 2009

For almost 25 years (OST will be 25 in 2010) I have found that voluntary
self-selection is the essential precondition for a well functioning
self-organizing system. Anything less and system function degrades. It may
not go all the way to failure, but it surely isn't as good as it could be.
And genuine invitation is the only way to insure voluntary self selection.
So if your boss is willing to settle for less than the best, that is
certainly his choice.

I guess this could sound pretty new age and impractical - but frankly it
just makes good sense to me. Especially in a business situation with mission
critical undertakings.  Honest answers to a few questions may make the
point. For example - Have you (or your boss) ever seen someone who didn't
really care do a really good job? Or when a group of folks are assigned to
do a job, ask yourself how many actually do the work? Usually it is some
fraction of the whole. Those people feel angry and abused because they did
all the work, and the others feel guilty. Yes the job gets done, but at the
cost of no small amount of guilt and anger - neither of which are positive
aspects of a healthy work environment. All of this can be avoided by
invitation.

Invitation and peoples' responses to invitation, insures that jobs are done
by people who care to do them. And all those people who could care less are
effectively eliminated. Speaking just for my self, I should infinitely
prefer to have 5 people who really care as opposed to 50 who are just along
for the ride. Will the 5 always succeed? No - but they will give it their
best shot. Which is to say -- High Performance, innovation, creativity, and
just plain fun are likely characteristics of that work environment. If your
boss is happy with something less, God love him. He would not be on my team.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, Maryland   20854

Phone 301-365-2093

Skype hhowen

Open Space Training  <http://www.openspaceworld.com/> www.openspaceworld.com

Open Space Institute  <http://www.openspaceworld.org/>
www.openspaceworld.org

Personal website  <http://www.ho-image.com/> www.ho-image.com

OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives
Visit:  <http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html>
www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html