poetry

Diane Cline diane at othconsulting.com
Fri May 1 06:50:39 PDT 2009

OS friends,
You have no idea how important it has been for me to read these poems
and feel the calling of Open Space at a time like this. Harrison Owen
met with me in January 2008 when I was transitioning out of my tight
narrow secretive job as an intelligence officer and resigned to become a
graphic recorder and go back to teaching Classics (Greek and Roman stuff).
We buried my sister-in-law on Monday April 27 (Google "Sausalito
homicide" for details - huge story in Marin).
Her son, Max, 12, has been living with us for two years now. Below is
the poem he read (choked out) at the service which he wrote the morning
after I told him the news last Sunday (April 19). She was a complicated
person, and he got that. The funeral was a short 30 minute Jewish
service at the cemetery.
Creating Open Space: I took on the responsibility of organizing the
funeral, buying the plot, arranging for her body to come to Maryland
from Petaluma, etc. But on Sunday before the Monday service the Rabbi
came to firm up the order of the service pick the psalms and readings
and I put the two brothers "in charge", the two brothers being my
husband and his 9 years younger brother, who loved and fought with their
sister. I gardened.
The Rabbi comes over, sits down, and 3 hours later is still listening to
their stories. Marathon pastoral counseling session for the two
brothers. Finally they close the open space, he leaves, the little
brother leaves, and I ask my husband, "so, how was it"? and my husband
says to me, "It was wonderful, but I still don't get why the Rabbi
needed so much information about her when it is only a 30 minute service?"
Sigh...........................................

Mom
By Max Clary

I remember your touch,
like the sun right after winter,